Has anyone??

Does anyone have a child that has febrile seizures? My son has had 4 his whole life and they are scary? How do you act when they are convulsing?

Prican91181

Asked by Prican91181 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• They are scary.....I agree, although it is usually me doing the convulsing, but when I come to I notice how frightened those around me are. What they always taught the people that cared for me when young (and I teach those in my family these days that I am grown): Lower the person to the floor if possible. Do NOT place anything in their mouth, it is not possible to swallow the tongue as it is attached and placing something in the mouth can cause further damage. Talk as calmly as you can to the person....we can hear you while we are convulsing, although we can not respond, but believe me, we can hear you. Tell that that you are with them and that everything will be okay. Stay as calm as possible. I know that it is hard, but try, it will help your child when they come around. When the person comes around, ask them questions that they would normally be able to answer.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 2:01 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Make sure that they remain on the floor until they regain their bearings, this usually happens pretty quickly, but getting up too fast can cause balance issues (does for me anyway). If they can answer your questions as they normally would (who are you, where are you, who am I....etc, depending on age)....let them up. They will probably need to rest as having a seizure is extremely draining physically, so do not be frightened if they are extremely tired afterward. Best of luck to you Mamma.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 2:03 PM on Jul. 20, 2009