Getting 3YO to poop in the potty all on her own?

I have been struggling for my 3YO to go poop in the potty since she turned 2 years old, and I think I finally got a system that works. I sit her on the potty right after breakfast weather she is willing or not until she poops. I give her books and coloring books and crayons to keep her occupied. Lately she has been going only after about 5 or 10 minutes, which is good. When she goes we celebrate and jump up and down, it's a very big deal! She get's a sucker when she poops in the potty. But my problem is will she be able to all go on her own? And if so, then when? Should I just expect her to pick that up on her own in time? I'm afraid to let her try to go on her own one morning for fear of regression. That is my worst fear. I have told her to hurry and run to the potty when she needs to poop numerous times but simply explaining it does not seem to work, I'm guessing because of her age. Can someone help me?

felicia0923

Asked by felicia0923 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I had the same problem with my 3 yr old son, I got some cheap toys from the Dollar Tree dumped them in a bag and showed them to him. Told him everytime he goes poop in the potty he gets to pick out one toy. It worked he never went in his pants again. I put the bag where he could see it from the potty but not reach it. So every time he went he called me I praised him and told him what a big boy he was and I was so proud of him. It only took a couple days now he is trained and all the toys are gone, just to know he is a big boy now is enough for him. Try it maybe it will work. Goold luck.
    stormy191

Answer by stormy191 at 4:44 PM on Jul. 20, 2009