When's the last time you took a vacation?

I haven't been on vacation since I was in high school. Now that I have a kid and we're out on our own, I don't forsee us taking a real vacation anytime in the next couple years.

Why do I feel like I'm the only person in the world that can't afford to go to the beach for a week? Everyone I know goes at least once :(

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 1:17 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i wish i could go, last time we went to the beach was almost 2 years ago & the only reason i got to go is b/c dh was working there :(
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• We only take "vacations" to visit family never really to do anything new or exciting. But my husband and I are going to Disneyland in a few weeks for a couple days! It will be our first overnight away from our 1 year old...and we chose to go to Disneyland LOL!
    Anonymous

• We manage to get away for at least a long weekend every summer. We do things like camping and hiking etc instead of going to pricy tourist destinations and sleeping in hotels.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:32 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Most of our vacations are to visit family. We take weekend trips quite a bit, though. The last vacation we took that wasn't to visit family was about two years ago when we went on a cruise. We're about to have a baby so we'll probably keep spending our vacation time visiting family because no one lives near us. We're still planning to do weekend trips after the baby comes, though.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• My husband and I went to DisneyWorld last summer when I was pregnant. I use to live in Virginia Beach and could go to the beach whenever I wanted to but now it is like 3hrs away and I have yet to go on a mini vacation. Can't afford to go anywhere now
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 1:40 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• toooo Lonnng-

Its been SO long, that I have been married AND divorced and ENGAGED since the last time I went on vacation, so I feel you mommy!

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 1:47 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• No worries Mama....hubby and I have not been able to afford a vacation for nearly 10 years. They say that staycations are the new rage, however, we have been doing them for a while.
    Anonymous

• At the end of May. Believe me, I couldn't really afford it either, but I had to leave or I was going to go nuts! I just saved a lot of my extra student loan money and my tax return. (and no, my kids aren't suffering because of it.)
    When I get my fin aid in August, I go and buy as many toiletries and such that we would need in a year, on sale with coupons. Kmart double coupon days are the best!! I spent $150 for $600 worth of stuff and haven't had to buy shampoo, soap etc since winter and probably won't for another couple months. I'm going to do it with toilet paper and dish soap and stuff as well this year. Doing things this way gives me no reason to go shopping which helps me save money. Cause I'm sure all of us understand how you can go into a store for hairspray and come out with a cart full.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 2:01 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• We went to Virginia Beac, Virginia in May when my dear one returned from Iraq. My dear one's family lives there, and they had never met me or their grandchild. It took about a day and a half to drive there from Central Texas. I did all of the driving and it was exhausting! I do not know if I would consider the trip an actual vacation, but it was nice once we reached our destination.
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 2:08 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• We went for a 3 day weekend to the California coast when my oldest was 15 mths(he's 5 now).
    Does that count? LOL

My DH doesnt like taking time off work because he doesnt get paid for vacation time and its hard to have money for bills if he misses too much. Therefore, we dont ever really do vacations although Id love to.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:36 PM on Jul. 20, 2009