How can I explain to my 5 year old SS that only our girl cat can have babies?

We told him the other day that Lola (our female) was gonna have kittens. We also have a boy cat named Lucky. He wants to know how come Lucky isn't filled with kittens like Lola.

Asked by piercedbeauty21 at 4:07 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Pets

• just them them that the other cat is a daddy cat and one is a mommy cat. Only mommy cats can have babies. Keep it simple

Answer by vbruno at 4:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Keep it simple... kids usually don't want the whole birds and the bees speech. Just try girls are mommies and boys are daddies... Somehow I don't think he needs the whole "truth" at 5 years old. Point out pregnant mother's (the ones with the big bellies) are always girls... Dad's have babies but they aren't the ones that give birth... mommies do. We usually think they want more info that we are afraid of giving them and they usually don't. Use the KISS method first... Keep It Simple Stupid... you aren't stupid or you wouldn't have posted the question...

Answer by MsTori at 4:21 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Just say that. Limit your answers to what will satisfy his curiosity. If he askes why only girls? You can say, "Girls bodies are made differently" How? "They have a special place where the baby can grow until it's ready to be born". Simple, like that. Don't go into the next answer until he asks the question. He definitely isn't interested in a birds and bees lecture at this age. You can find books to help you ease into the subject as he gets older. Check them out now so when the time is right, you have it on hand. Don't forget to include Dad since he was a boy once.

Answer by manna1qd at 4:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• My kids are about to be 5 and about to be 4, and they know the parts and that girls can only have babies. They don't know about sex, but because I have had a baby recently and am having another now, they know (somewhat) about the birthing process. What I'm trying to say is I think you should answer in an age-appropriate way, let them lead the discussion, and be very exact. If the conversation goes to human, I think it's best to use the actual names. (Although tummy is probably better than uterus because that is a little harder to explain.) I guess I'm just an advocate for honesty and for correct terminology. My parents never had a talk with me, and I still didn't get things until a very late age. I learned stuff from friends and my older sister, so I wasn't getting the best info, as you can imagine. Hope it helps!

Answer by NomadSara at 4:40 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• it depends on how much you want your kid to know. honestly what's the harm in telling tht boys make sperm and girls make eggs?

Answer by hiddenpoet at 4:52 AM on Jun. 23, 2008