For those of you that grow your own garden.. I got a ?

How do you make your garden grow? Do you add stuff to your soil and if you do what?

Do you fluff the soil every now and then?

Do you use any kind of pest control?

When do you pick your veggies? When they are almost ripe or ripe?

Thanks for helping me out! =)

Mommy2seven

Asked by Mommy2seven at 1:46 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Home & Garden

• organic soil + plant food seeds

no

organic food grade bug sprays

depends on the vegetable
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:48 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• my dad has a garden and he put some miracle grow & fertalizer in the dirt, goes through it with a tiller every wknd and 7 dust for pest control, picks cucumbers every day and the others when ripe or almost ripe, jsut depends
    Anonymous

• For veggies: at the beginning of each season I add a bag of manure or compost tot he soil for prep. I have a rototiller, so I turn the soil. I do not use any pesticides as I have not had an issue with pests. I pick them when they are ripe. At the end of the season, I lay down newspaper/cardboard to prevent weeds for sinking.

For flower garden: I have lots of perennials, so they don't require a whole lot of work the following year. I dead-head (pinch off dead flowers) to continue blooming, and I prune as necessary. I use groundcover to control weeds. Most of the bugs are taken care of usually with a good spray of water. If i have a particular problem, I buy beneficial bugs at the nursery-- like ladybugs.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 1:51 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Thanks ladies it sounds like I'm doing ok then... I have ear-wigs and slugs oh my lol.. I found some organic bug repellent that I'm gonna try for the slugs, they are bad and they eat the leaves of my veggies. So far my garden is growing very well.. I was just wondering what every one else is doing =]
    Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 6:59 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Our garden grows with water and sun, organic, no pesticides, no fertilizers. We don't fluff the soil. I pick the veggies when they are ripe and use them pretty much right away.
    bhwrn1

Answer by bhwrn1 at 8:31 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Thanks! I try to use my veggies as soon as they are picked too, if not I try and give them to family and friends =0]..
    Mommy2seven

Answer by Mommy2seven at 9:59 PM on Jul. 20, 2009