when you have a child

do you think its time to do a Will, and an advanced directive?
The thought of this scares me, but I don't no if its something I need to think about.

JnCV

Asked by JnCV at 1:52 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Making a will is a good idea because if something happens to you and you don't specify who you want your kids to be with, it could cause some big problems.
    Anonymous

• My DH and I are planning on making a will right after the baby is born, specifying who is to take guardianship of the baby if something were to happen to us. It never hurts to have one in effect, just in case. It shouldn't be a scary thing; its meant to make you feel better knowing everything is taken care of if something were to happen.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 1:54 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I don't have a will. My husband does, simply because he is overseas right now. I've been thinking about it, but my thing is that my children are with me at all times, so I think that if anything were to happen, it'd be to all of us, not just me.

If it makes you feel more secure to have one, then go make one up. :) But I'm sure that you and I are not the only mothers who don't have a will.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 1:55 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• In all honesty I'd feel better making a will while I'm young. I'd hate to wait until I'm older knowing for a fact that death is closer.
    Anonymous

• but my thing is that my children are with me at all times, so I think that if anything were to happen, it'd be to all of us, not just me.

I can understand why you would think this but I wouldn't rely on that. Any tragedy could strike at any moment and harm only you.
    Anonymous

• We have one each, actually. Should anything happen to either of us it is in our Wills what we want done. Yes, it's a depressing and stressful thought process, but we want to be prepared. I really hope nothing happens to us, though. I just can't imagine the horrible reality to my children should either of us die or are unable to care for them any longer.
    Kenre

Answer by Kenre at 2:05 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Anyone raising children needs a will if for no other reason than to name the person you want to be your childs guardian should both parents die. The advanced directive can take a lot of stress off of family members at a critical time. The Drs and your family will all be SURE of what your wishes for treatment are.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:11 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I know that I should draw up a will, but the thought depresses me.

I think the reason that most people avoid this process is that doing so forces us to face our own mortality.
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 2:12 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Also wills and advanced directives should be reviewed at least every five years.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:12 PM on Jul. 20, 2009