Why will health insurance pay for you to....

Stop doing drugs (pay for rehab) and stop smoking but not pay to help you lose weight? I think that's so dumb

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well considering that weight loss need not be expensive why should insurance pay for it. My doctor gave me a diet plan when my blood pressure suddenly got too high. I'm not obese, but she said that losing weight and exercising were the key to getting it back down. It was really high (165/105) so she also gave me meds to bring it down until the diet, etc kicked in. Anyway, she actually gave me a diet plan to follow and instructed me on how much exercise I should be getting. I went back in six weeks to check my blood pressure and she again went over my diet plan with me. I go back again next month to check my blood pressure and my weight. I guess I don't see why anything other than that is needed. What exactly do you want insurance to pay for? Doctor visits like I've had, or a weight loss program like WW? Or dietitians? What?

Anonymous

• I think it's stupid that they pay for any of those.
    Anonymous

• I think its awful that they won't pay for someone to get help from substance abuse until that person has had a run in with the law, and then the state steps in to cover costs.
    Anonymous

• They will make to much money off the fact that they can blame fat people for all our problems so they really don't want you to get thin and healthy anyway.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:10 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• why should we have to pay higher rates because someone makes the choice to mess themselves up with drugs?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Um, it depends on your plan and what treatment you are after, as well as how overweight you are.

My insurance gives incentives for gym memberships, etc and does cover some weight loss treatments.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:40 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• What you don't understand is paying for PREVENTION is WAYYYYY cheaper than paying for the outcomes of abusing your body. Loosing weight should be covered to a point-its cheaper to pay for it now then in the future with all the complications from diabetes, etc.
    Anonymous

• And technically health insurance doesn't cover drug rehab... behavioral heath pays for that and not very well either. The out of pocket on that stuff is huge!

Anonymous