Fever question... Its me not the baby

I woke up this morning feeling like crap. Throat swollen, headache, body ache, everything but the gross stuff (bathroom stuff). Well I laid down when the baby went down for a nap at 10 am, yes four hours ago and when I woke up my temp was 102... the baby (4 months) is STILL asleep and his underarm temp is only 98, but he has a fan on him. I'm not worried about him sleeping so long becuse we hd a long day yesterday, I just dont want him being sick and me not relizing it.

Should I take a rectal temp jsut to be sure? I am all set to call the doctor if he has a fever!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When he wakes up keep an eye on him. If he gets fussier than usual and feels warm then take his temp. rectally otherwise I'd leave him alone. Babies will most definitely let you know when they don't feel well!!
    Anonymous

• Well, it certainly wouldn't hurt to take his rectal temp - but I would do it after he's had the fan off of him for an hour or so. Maybe make the room cooler - if it's hot, but putting the fan on him might not give you a very clear reading.
    I would check in with a doctor for you, however, to see if you might have the flu or a cold, etc.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 2:09 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• It may be just a coincidence and he's going through a growth spurt, etc. If he acts different or seems warm then I'd call his doc. But, if the underarm is ok and he doesn't feel warm then I wouldn't worry....especially if he's eating
    Anonymous

• My thought, if it were my child, would be that it isn't necessary. I could tell his temperature pretty well by touching my lips to his forehead, and if it felt warm I'd know to take his temp. You wouldn't want to breathe on him of course, but you could hold your breath to feel, and then wipe his forehead with a disinfectant cloth. But you should go with your instincts, and if you want the doctor to check him then do it so you'll have peace of mind. I hope that you feel better, soon.

Answer by Bmat at 2:11 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• What I would do.... I would take his temp rectally just in case (because I'm paranoid like that... and it should be between 98-99.9.. that's normal) Then I might call your own doctor and see about being seen... you don't want to have something that you might pass on to your baby (although it might not be preventable) if your baby seems sick then call his pediatrician and talk to them, tell them that you are sick and that yor baby seems sick as well and see what they would like you to do.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:16 PM on Jul. 20, 2009