Is this normal for cousins?

My DD is 3.5 and my Niece (husbands sisters DD) which is two love each other but everytime they get together they irritate each other, one wants what the other has, don't want to share and it drives us all crazy. My DD isn't like this with any other children. Is it something about cousin's or is it my niece?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Relationships

• Yup, its because they are so close in age and both want to be the boss....imo. My daughter is 5 and my niece is 6. They were the same way around that age. I actually dreaded being in the same place at the same time with them, thats how bad it was. But eventually they outgrew it. They have little arguements here and there still, but nothing compared to what it used to be. Good Luck......it should get better just remind them to share , if they don't , take what they are fighting about away.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 2:26 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• My son and my niece are the same way. He's 3 and she's 4, they are 14months apart and they are each others best friend and worst enemy. It's so annoying and funny at the same time.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:28 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Are they around each other often? I was like this with my cousins as well but I saw them damn near everyday so it was more like a sibling rivalry.
    Anonymous

• I was the same way with my cousin. she's exactly 9 months older than me. we used to fight all the time...I would kick her a$$. I would say the last fight I can remember is when I was probably 5. LOL we loved each other most of the time but there were those times where there was a total dislike. LOL

Now we're okay, dont really like her choices now but we never fight or anything
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 2:32 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• My son and niece see each other a lot. My sis and I trade babysitting all the time, they are just like brother and sister. It's definitely a love/hate, sibling rivalry sort of thing.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Kids close in age especially at that stage can bicker of toys. The I want what you have because you now have it thing is really annoying. Sometimes my kids who are close in age do this and I will warn them. If I hear anymore I will take the toy they're bickering over away. And then if they did it again that same day I would take the toy and send bot to timeout. I say just discourage it by taking action everytime. It will get better sooner that way.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 2:37 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• yup normal. me and my cousin fought worse than sisters.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:47 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• They sound more like sisters than cousins.
    My 2 nieces were only children, and they were 2yrs apart. When they got together they were like that....
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:05 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Yep, I have a cousin that we used to be like that. We're only about a yr apart in age, so we were really competitive with each other. We did outgrow it (I think lol) eventually, but yeah, we love each other to death but until we were adults you couldn't really leave us alone together or we'd find something to fight over.

At the same time, though, I have a cousin that I and he are both only children, and we were more like brother and sister than cousins. We fought like brother and sister and we defended each other like brother and sister. He's 7 yrs older than me, though.

Sometimes it's age, sometimes it's just personality and circumstances. I don't thin there's anything wrong with either of the girls.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:06 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Is your DD routinely around the same "other" kids as she is around the niece? This is very common at that age, but my kids are very shy at first. Once they get to know the other kids and see them often (friends or family) then they do the same things, but before then they are very shy and give in easily.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:38 PM on Jul. 20, 2009