Is Juicy Juice really as bad for babies as they say?

I have a 6 month old who prefers her oatmeal cereal mixed with a little apple juice. Of course, everyone says: NO NO NO! But I just can't believe that a little bit of juice is bad for babies. What does everyone else think?

mama_kayla

Asked by mama_kayla at 2:26 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• a little bit of juice is fine. Juicy Juice is 100% juice so it is better than "juice drinks". Juice is great if your child won't eat fruit so needs the nutrition from it. But as others have said it has sugar so should be watered down, or given in moderation. I introduced juice around 6 or 7 months in a sippy cup and would give 2 oz juice and 2 - 3 oz water and let my daughter learn to drink from a cup :)
    Anonymous

• At 6 months we introcduced water down juice to my kids and they were fine. I found if they drank to much 2 sippies of it, then they had the runs but that is it.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 2:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• A little bit of juice it fine. It still has nutrients but it is the sugar and the preservatives that is not so healthy so like anything it should only be given in moderation.
    Anonymous

• Juice is discouraged because it is believe to be one of the many factors in the epidemic of over weight children and Type II diabetes in children. The point isn't that kids can't have juice at all but that portion controll is required. From what I have read 6 to 8 oz a juice a day is the reccomended amount.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 2:34 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I always make my son's cereal with apple juice he's five months.
    I used to use formula but it smells awful and he loves the apple flavor so I don't think it is bad next month I will start giving him a little juice in a sippy.
    Katie0224

Answer by Katie0224 at 3:51 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I don't know about all "Juicy Juice" flavors, but they have a fruit and veggie mix that has less sugar that regular apple juice. The sugar is really what the problem is. It's fine in moderation. Just make sure it's 100% juice (NOT from concentrate) and has 120% vitamin C.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:49 AM on Jul. 21, 2009