where can I find this out? a question about seventh day adventist and lutherans.

I am baptized Lutheran. I have gone to many churches and I am just now getting very close to God. My husband is seventh day adventist. Seventh day adentists go to church on saturday and Lutherans go on sunday. All my life I have gone on sunday and all of dh's life he's gone to sabbath on saturday.I want to know, how do I know what the real sabbath day is and also.. there is a verse that is always said in the lutheran church that goes.. Jesus decended into hell, on the third day he rose to heaven and is seated at the right hand of the father to judge the living and the dead, I believe in the holy spirit,the holy catholic church, the communion of saints,the forgiveness of sins and the live everlasting, amen. The problem I have is that I never read where Jesus goes to hell and then rises up in the bible. I have only read that he goes up to heaven. Please help, thanks!

flywifey86

Asked by flywifey86 at 2:28 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Sabbath is on Saturday. Many denominations, such as Lutheran, do not observe the Sabbath. Jesus came to fulfill the law and observance of the Sabbath was part of that. The New Testament said that Jesus IS our Sabbath and we are encouraged to find our own day of observance. The reason many branches of Christianity choose Sunday is because they believe that the Apostles worshipped on Sundays, as well as to symbolize starting off our week with Christ. Keeping the Sabbath holy is the only commandment not reinstated in the New Testament.

As for the Apostles Creed, the earliest versions of the Apostled Creed do not include the line about Jesus descending into Hell. I do not believe there is true Biblical support that he ever did. When my church says this Creed, I simply leave out that line when I say it.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:00 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• To add, when Protestants say "Catholic" in the creed, they are referring to the Universal body of believer's not Roman Catholicism (I know that confuses people sometimes as well).

-Jesus breaks the Sabbath and claims to be Lord of the Sabbath: Matthew 12:1-8
    -The Sabbath was created for man, not for God: Mark 2:27-28 His people needed a day of rest and it was included as a part of their judicial system or "The Law."
    -We are no longer under the law but under grace: Romans 6:14-15.
    -Choosing one's own day of observance: Romans 14:1-12
    -Be convinced of your own days of observance: Col. 2:16-17
    -Evidence of some worshipping on Sunday: Cor. 16:1-2, Acts 20:7, and "The Lord's Day" as translated in Revelation 1:10 is defined as Sunday in very, very early Church history.

It doesn't matter if you worship on Saturday or Sunday or whatever day. You are still pleasing God :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:13 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I don't keep all this stuff by my desk, but I am Lutheran and we use two creeds Niceen and Apostales and only one of them refered to decendingi nto hell. And frankly it doesn't say that in the Bible. The closest it comes is that he opened the gates, not that he went in. The sabbath was made for the people (to give use a rest and refocus on the Lord) not the people for the sabbath. As long as you worship, don't worry about the day. Just make sure you are worshipping the Lord and not the DAY.
    Anonymous

• The Sabbath belongs to the Lord, it's the seventh day of the week---Saturday. It does still matter, as it is a sign of the God that we serve. It's to be a blessed 24 hour period that we spend with Him. It is not only for the Jews, as it was instituted in the Garden of Eden (as was marriage!) We will keep it in Heaven. It's the only commandment that begins with "REMEMBER".

Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 3:51 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Evidence of some worshipping on Sunday: Cor. 16:1-2, Acts 20:7, and "The Lord's Day" as translated in Revelation 1:10 is defined as Sunday in very, very early Church history.

Where is this translation? From my history study (and the Bible) the early Christians continued to keep the seventh day Sabbath. Jesus knew that the Sabbath would be in affect years after His death when He gave the prophecy of the fall of Jerusalem. (Matthew 24:20) The keeping of Sunday was brought in to separate believers from the Jews. It was brought in by man as were these other none Biblical doctrines:

1. The immortal soul
    2. Everlasting Hell fire.
    3. Speaking in tongues (the new age style " babbling", not the true gift given to spread the Gospel)
    4. Christmas, Easter (sun-rise services), ect.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 4:01 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Christians would do well to search for where what we believe originates. Especially those doctrines that makes it seem as though the Bible is contradicting itself. Compare the immortal soul doctrine with these verses:

Ecclesiastes 9:5---For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.

Ezekiel 18:4---Behold, all souls are mine: as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.
    cont.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 4:10 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Daniel 12:1-2----And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Revelation 22:11,12---He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still. And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. (He's bringing the reward, we don't receive it at death!)
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 4:13 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• The Bible warned the early believers that "doctrines of devils" would enter in, and they have, stealthily. Many people believe these things blindly, glossing over how the contradict the Bible. They explain away by their pastor's interpretation, forgetting that there is no private interpretation. We also forget that the warning about false prophets was given before the the Reformation. They were given before the Catholic church came onto the scene, even. This why the people were forbidden to study it for themselves. This is why we should study it for ourselves today! ( 2 Peter 1:20).
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 4:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• The warning from 2 Peter 2:1,2:

"But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of. "
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 4:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Lexy, if you read Cor. 16:1-2, Acts 20:7, they use "the first day of the week." The passage in Revelation's is the only verse of the ones that I've mentioned that uses "The Lord's Day." Revelation is believed to have been written around approximately 95 A.D. The same phrase appears in Ignatius, Epistle to the Magnesians, 1. 67 about a century later. Therefore, many people feel that the earliest followers observed Sudays which is where the tradition comes from.

As I believe I mentioned in my posts, that is why some people worship on Sundays. I personally believe that the other passages of scripture I posted make it very clear that Jesus has fulfilled the requirements of the Law and that our own days of observance are to be chosen by our own consciences. I personally worship on Sunday because the church I've chosen does.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:39 PM on Jul. 20, 2009