At what age do you think it is OK for a child to bring their parent a (closed) can of beer or wine cooler from the fridge?

This is just strictly out of curiosity. We do not drink in our house so this is not an issue. HOwever a neighbor of mine has her 5 yr old bring his dad a beer every night when he gets home from work.. JMO but i think 5 is too young to bringing beers to parents and the da should get it himself.. what if the 5 yr old opened it up? I dont think kids should ever bring alcohol to parents until they are of drinking age or old enough to understand (late teens) but im not bashing that is JMO.. so im just curiuos to see what others think about this

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 2:37 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• AS soon as they can walk lol
    Anonymous

• It's really none of your business what your neighbor does...they're not abusing their kid or neglecting it so keep your nose in your own house
    Anonymous

• uumm anon.. for one i was not bashing her at all.. and for 2 i wasnt being nosy.. her and i were talking about this the other day and she brought it up! And no i never said she was abusing or negelecting him.. i simply stated that i would not allow MY child to do that.. MY OPINION! I dont think she is a bad mother at all just asking an opinion.. thanks
    JrsMommy07

Answer by JrsMommy07 at 2:46 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I don't see why there is anything wrong with a child bringing a beer to his/her parents. My son brings his Dad a beer sometimes from the fridge, he is four years old. He also knows that it's a grown up drink and has never even attempted to open or drink one.

Why do you think it's wrong?
    AJsMomma

Answer by AJsMomma at 2:58 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• People who have alcohol in their home dont look at a can of beer any differently than a can of coke. If its okay to bring them a coke, then its okay to bring them beer. I personally think its a bad idea to have alcohol in the home at all, but I dont see why the people that do would view it differently. JMO
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:00 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• When we are in the pool, I will have my 8 & 5 yr old bring their grandparents a beer if they are already out of the pool. They understand that alcohol is a grown up drink, and that they are never to open it, or drink it or even take a sip out of it. They will even tell me, when we are watching a cooking show, if someone is making a drink with alcohol, that they can't have that drink or that if I make it, I have to leave the alcohol out of it. I don't really see where it's a problem. Now, having them mix up a drink, that would be wrong. But just to grab a closed can of beer or a capped wine cooler bottle is really no different than asking them to get a can of soda or a bottle of water, as long as you've made sure they know not to drink it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:01 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I don't see anything wrong with it. I think it's a great way to teach the child that some drinks are for adult and some are not. It also allows the child to see an adulting drinking in moderation.
    Anonymous

• I think a parent who cannot get off their own arse to get their own alcohol is lazy and setting a bad example. Most states have laws that ban underage servers from serving alcohol. Yet you're going to treat a 5 year old like a servant?
    Anonymous

• My daughter brings her dad a beer--she's 6. She knows that it's only for Daddy ( i don't drink beer)
    She also loves going to the distrubutors to "buy" it. She will ask for one beer please. When they ask her what kind she says Daddy's beer.
    Mind you--she will bring it to him on her own. we don't ask her to.
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 3:22 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• My honest answer? Parents need to get their lazy asses up and get their own beer! If the kids aren't old enough to consume, then they shouldn't have to go 'fetch' one for anybody. I can say this too, as I drink and NEVER have my children EVER gotten me a beverage. They're 12 & 14. While you're up, offer to get one for whomever is hanging out with you.
    Sonnut

Answer by Sonnut at 3:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2009