Would YOU be offended if I came to visit you and I opted to stay in a hotel??

I am going to visit my family on the west coast (from east coast) with my 13 month old daughter. We're staying for 5 full days. Instead of staying with relatives, I am going to book a hotel for our time there. I know my daughter is going to have a hard time with the 3 hour time difference, and I don't want my family to have to quiet down when my daugter goes to bed (which will most likely be by 5pm pacific time!!).

Do you think my family will be offended because I'm not staying with them? By family I mean my little sister, her husband and their three kids. They live in a 2 bedroom house.

Any words of wisdom?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Relationships

• Personally, I wouldn't be offended, I would understand that with a child that young you need to be in control of her schedule, routines, environment, etc. Part of been a mom is to do what you think is best for your child putting other people's feelings aside. If you feel in your heart of hearts the hotel arrangement will work best for your child, by all means. It is normal for your sister to want to maximize visit time but she si also a mom and she knows how it is with little ones. Just mention it to her casually and she'll be fine with it.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 3:11 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Just let them know why you're doing it and there shouldn't be an issue.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't be.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 3:10 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• No-- I would prefer it. When I go visit family, I choose to stay in a hotel simply because I enjoy my privacy. My grandmother seems upset by it, but I'm an adult and I don't have to stay with her.
    Anonymous

• Nope! just find a hotel with a pool and invite them for a swim! Good for you for being so considerate.
    LJSMOM31

Answer by LJSMOM31 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I understand y you would stay in a hotel. I would just tell them exactly what you told us. You can't wait to see them, but it would be easier for everyone if you had your own space to sleep and leave it at that. Tell them the baby is a shallow sleeper and needs quiet, too much burden to put on them...blah blah i wouldnt be offended.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I think it is great, and NO I would not be offended, I would likely be relieved.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:11 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• It depends on your sister. Does she get offended easily? I would just explain to her your reasons, maybe say you don't want to upset their schedule.
    Anonymous

• No, I would do the same thing. I am a very private person and hate that I might be embarking on someones elses privacy.
    determind

Answer by determind at 3:21 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• No, I would not be offended, as I have a small house and no room for guests. It sounds like your sister is a bit limited on space (with kids and only 2 bedrooms), so your hotel idea sounds like a good one.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:28 PM on Jul. 20, 2009