Should I wake my baby for a feeding?

My 11-day-old baby loves to sleep, like any other, but often won't wake up for 3 & a half or more hours to feed (never more than 4 & a half though). I was told by her pediatrician to wake her every 3 hours for a feeding. Should I really be doing this or should I let her tell me when she wants to eat?

tomcatsgirl2142

Asked by tomcatsgirl2142 at 3:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• like any other?? HAHA.. my son NEVER Slept. Count your blessings.. No, They will wake when they are hungry, especially if its never more than 4 or so hours -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Let em sleep. They will wake when hungry.
    Anonymous

• i was told that too
    but my daughter gained weight before we left hospital, and ate well
    so i did not have to
    is baby gaining enough?
    if so, let them sleep
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 3:28 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• depends. my daughter would sleep 6 + hours if I left her, but she wasn't gaining weight so I had to wake her to feed. If she was gaining weight, the doc wouldn't have cared. So it depends on how your child is growing and 4 hours between feeds really isn't that bad either.
    Anonymous

• Are you bfing? If you are you should wake her to feed every 3 hours to get your supply going strong if you are ffing than let her sleep for a while, formula lasts longer that breastmilk.
    Katie0224

Answer by Katie0224 at 4:00 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I was told at the hospital that every baby is different, and as long as they eat between 8-12 times during a 24 hour period they should be fine. Babies don't come with schedules, and I really think the best approach is to feed on demand. It may be that a baby will eat more ofter during the day, and then not as often at night, but overall they should squeeze in all their feedings. They also can cluster their feedings, eating every two hours during the day and then every hour a couple of hours before they go to bed. You can guide yourself too by the number of diapers of wet and soiled diapers your baby has, I think that my baby at 11 days had about 6 wet diapers and 3-4 pooped diapers.
    pgaytan

Answer by pgaytan at 12:26 AM on Jul. 21, 2009