would you call someone a bad mother?

would you? if so why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• For making obvious stupid, selfish decisions that could result in her child getting harmed, physically, emotionally, or mentally.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:44 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• It depends on the person. If they were doing something or parenting their child in a way that I think is bad, then yes. For instance, if they beat their child or neglected there child in anyway, then absolutely I'd tell them.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 3:38 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• ok if you want me to. What's her name?
    Anonymous

• depends
    it she was then yes

3:38...LOL
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 3:39 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Yes I would depending on the situation. Not every mother is a good mother, besides. I Know a woman who would put her 1 year old in a bedroom so she could do crank in the living room.... BAD MOTHER! Yes the baby was taken away.. then given back after rehab was completed
    Anonymous

• Yup I can think of one offhand. She is stoned all day while her daughter is around her.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:46 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Yes. There are bad mothers and those are the ones that the state has to step in and intervien. Some telltale signs (but not always) are living in filth (there is a difference between dirty and filthy!), ignoring your child to the point of neglecting basic needs such as food, clothing that fits, and love, yelling and screaming at your kids all time over nothing (ie I saw someone yell at her kids for hugging her. What the hell?!). Using your kdis to get things *you* want and not providing adequately for the kids. (my cousin's hubby does that. he's an ass and on the run form CPS at the moment). Again, just one thing isn't necessiarly going to make you a bad mom, but a combination of bad decisions and an inabilitiy or lack of desire to try to take care of their kids. Something like not breastfeeding isn't going to make you a bad mom, but doing drug while pregnant and not caring might
    Anonymous

• Just because someone's idea of good parenting isn't the same as mine, I wouldn't judge and I certainly wouldn't be insulting. But if she's beating the kids, ignoring them, doing drugs or any other super obviously damaging behavior, then, yeah. There's a line that shouldn't be crossed.
    fizzy

Answer by fizzy at 4:03 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• If she was someone I knew & If she was a bad mother - yes I would tell her.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 4:04 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• most "bad mother" is someone that has not left the "ME" stage, they can not put their child's health and safety first... that is when I would point out the issue... if I felt the child was in danger I would hot line her... it might be that with alittle pro help she could become a great mom, and if not that little life she is not willing to care for should be placed in a more loving home so the child can reach his/her own goals... to many times people don't want to say anything, they think it but will not take action and the only one that is hurt is the child....
    BlessingsBegin

Answer by BlessingsBegin at 5:23 PM on Jul. 20, 2009