In Which Grade Did You Stop Walking Your Child To His/Her Classroom?

When did you stop walking your child to class? What grade were they in? If you still walk them what grade will you stop? My daughter is going to second grade, and I have always walked her to her classroom, now since I have moved, she will be going to a different school that doesnt allow parents on the campus at all. They dont allow you to walk them to class or pick them up from class. I really dont like this rule, I like to know that my child has made it to class

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• For my son they didn't allow parents to walk to the kids the class from Kindergarten on. I drop him off at the gate by the playground and he goes in. Then they line up from there. It was heart breaking, for me. lol. He took it fine. They adjust a lot better than you would think they do.
    Hannah22

Answer by Hannah22 at 3:41 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I always just did whatever my child wanted me to do until my kids started in the school district we are in now. They are very high academically rated and they have rules. It kinda irritated me, but they told me when they started kindergarten I was allowed to walk him in on the FIRST day only and they gave us special instructions on what time to arrive and where to park. After that....they wanted you to stop and drop. They promised that the child would get to their classroom and get to the right place in the afternoons. They banded them with hospital bracelets that had their name, address, phone number and afternoon instructions but they discouraged parents from coming in. I guess they couldnt stop us if we wanted to, but my kids are fairly independant, so it wasnt needed. By the time they were in the 3rd grade, mom was more of an annoyance than a help.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:42 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Prior to second grade my daughter went to school where my mom was the principal, and she went to school with my mom. We moved when she started to second grade. Because it was a new and bigger school, I walked my daughter to her classroom the first day of second grade. The second day I walked her to the door of the school, the third day she told me she didn't need me to get out of the car, and that was it. She knew kids in later grades who were still walked to class each day by their moms, and she thought that was weird.

I do think second grade is a good time to stop, but it does seem strange to me that the school doesn't allow it.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:48 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• My boys both rode a bus to school so I only walked them to class the first day up to 3rd grade. My granddaughter attends a school where parents are allowed to walk kids to class only on the first day and only kinder and first grade. I do car drop off and pick up with her. I actually think she adjusted to school more quickly. It is also much less confusion and chaos in the school hallways themselves.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:06 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• 4th grade for my youngest, 3rd for the oldest ( he insisted - little toot)
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 4:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Well, you know, the school does allow visitors - I'd be the one parent at the office desk EVERY morning signing in as a visitor and getting my visitor's badge, walking my child to class, then signing out and being on my way.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 4:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• i stopped walking my dd in kindergarten. I do walk her on the first day only because her backpack is usually very heavy and so i carry it in for her but after that shes on her own. I will probably walk my son for the first couple of days to make sure he knows where to go and then after that hes on his own too. I am raising independant kids so im not going to handhold them all the way through school. I think first grade is probably a good time to let them do it by themselves after the first day
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 5:04 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I've never done that. I had never even been past the office at the beginning of the hall until 2 months into the school year.
    They only allow the preschool parents to walk the kids in. When my oldest was in kindergarten and 1st grade she took the bus to school. And the school they go to now we wait outside with them in lines and the teacher comes out and walks them in. Except when it gets really cold then the parents drop them off at one of the doors and they line up in the entrance way and wait until the teacher comes.
    In the winter I stopped walking them to the school door. I'd stand on the corner and watch them get to the school then I'd go home. I might start doing that all year now. They are going into 1st, 2nd and 4th grades and started walking home alone last year.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:40 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• My son starts Kindergarten this year and will ride the bus from day one. The school said it was the best way to go and caused less confusion. He will be wearing a tag with his name and his classroom teachers name. At the school the K students will be collected at the door by the assistant teachers and walked to the classroom in a group. They will be doing this for the first 6 weeks of school after that they will get off the bus and to there class on there own but still wearing their tag. I am confident that he will be fine.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:00 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I never have. At our schools parents are not allowed in the building except on special occasions.  This is to keep the school secure.

motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:22 PM on Jul. 20, 2009