My 6 week old is colicky; however, I can't figure out what is causing it. I am losing my mind!

He was put on Zantac for acid reflux and it didn't help. I tried gripe water and it didn't help. I switched to soy formula (Similac Isomil Advance) on Friday night and while it seemed to make him better; he still has long, long bouts of unconsolable crying. His crying gets so hard I get panicky. I often can't figure out how to stop it. I feel like I have done exhaustive internet research and have tried anything and everything, but can't seem to find anything that works. I keep praying that this will resolve itself at the 3 month mark, but am worried he could be one who does this for longer. I am in touch with my pediatrician.
Thanks for reading.

carla36

Asked by carla36 at 3:39 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• give the formula a bit longer. It might take a bit longer for the old stuff to get out of his system With soy, watch for constipation.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 3:43 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• i do not know cause
    but i do know solution
    4 months
    so subtract 6 weeks from 4 months and you will not have colic any more

try gas drops
    putting her on her tummy and rubbing back

but what worked for us (our baby was colicy too)
    was taking turns with her because both of us were going crazy

and as soon as she was big enough for a swing
    god bless the swing!!!!
    Anonymous

• He may be MSPI and need a hypoallergenic formula. Give the soy formula a bit longer, 2 weeks at least and then talk to the doctor about a hypoallergenic formula.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 3:52 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• That's colic. There is no known cause and no cure except time. The official definition of colic is a baby who cries for more than 3 hours a day, more than 3 days a week, for longer than 3 weeks. It's a fancy way of saying "your baby cries a lot".
    Things that help:
    Circle his 16 week birthday in red; the colic will be gone by then. Mark off each day as you survive it - it really does help to see that big red circle gettting closer.
    Do not hesitate to put him in his crib and walk away. Sometimes all the tricks you try simply overstimulate him and make it worse. Walking away will help you calm down and may help him.
    Monitor your own emotions careful. Moms with colicky babies are more likely to develop PPD and babies with colic are more likely to be abused. As I said - do not hesitate to put him in his crib and go hide in your closet.

cont
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:58 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Do not take advice from any mom who have not lived through the hell of colic. They truly do not understand and will look at you like you are crazy. They will give you fluff answers like "babies cry... you just deal with it." Ignore all such moms.
    Make a list of everything you can think of to try. Start at the top and work your way down. Dont' try to store your list in your head, write it down.
    Play white noise in his room. That may be a portable fan or it may be a white noise CD. I used the "car engine noise" track from "For Crying Out Loud".
    Try a warm cloth on his tummy. Try keeping the lights a little dim and the noise low. Try carrying him with his butt at your elbow, his head in your hand, and his arms and legs dangling (the football hold). Try baby massage. If you have rough roads, try taking walks - the bumpiness can be soothing.

If you need to vent, feel free to PM me. I've been there!
    Good luck!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:04 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• take him to the chiropractor! find one that does kids. I take my 6mo old in and she giggles through the whole thing. they don't do that neck cracking thing, it's much more gentle than that. It may help. may be worth looking into that hypoallergenic formula.

and if you have anymore children down the road consider breastfeeding. If you tried before and it didn't work than make sure you get more help the neaxt time around(LLL meetings r great).I know I have played with my diet a lot to get a happy baby. I have had a colicy baby and was able to fix it by changing my diet. hugs moma.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 4:10 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Honestly. TRY A CHIROPRACTOR - My son had ALL DAY Colic for 5 months and NOTHING helped calm him!!! after 4-1/2 months and trying the acid reflux meds ( that didn't help ) formula switches, that didn't help - gas drops, bouncers everything in the world - It was my last try - after 3 weeks of bringing him everyday ( we happen to find a great one who only charged us 1 time a week even though we could bring him everyday ) within 3 weeks his colic was gone - it could have been timing but It seemed to really help him!!!! otherwise - just ask for help from people you trust- I felt insane trying to deal with it - his bouts were usually 3 hour episodes at a time, he also didn't tolerate formula well and cried the whole time eating, then didn't poop so cried cause he couldn't poop - it was a living nightmare - email me if you need support or anything - I would have have gotten througfh it without support and understanding!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:15 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• OH yeah, 1 thing that sometimes worked was during a car ride I turned the radio station on loud static - it worked amazingly so maybe the white noise can really be helpful - colic is HELL so I agree with Kacyee14 - don't let other mom's make you feel like you are a bad mom for getting upset or frustated or panicky - no one can relate to a colicky child unless they've gone through it!! My SIL was the worst at that!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• My niece was colicky and I was there most of the time. I would have to make my sister walk away because she would get so angry at my niece. What I did for my niece was put her on my shoulder like I was burping her (do this in a very quiet room) and I hummed to her and rubbed her back. She calmed down with me. With my daughter even with her getting a shot or blood drawn, I hum to her and she calms down, it gives her something else to think about. I do not think you are crazy, I think you also need time to yourself. Maybe take a soothing bath with your child with candles, and dimmed lighting. The water might help the baby with the tummy. I know when I don't feel so good, I would go into our pool and just lay on my back or lay on my stomach.
    Gkmandy

Answer by Gkmandy at 1:37 PM on Jul. 21, 2009