Can I be a snob for a minute?

I hate to be this way really, but a girl has to have standards. Someone from my town just asked me out (I'm a sinlge mom). I was pretty excited cause i know some of his family and it seems we have alot in common. I just got a txt from him and it said, "I scene that" Ugh..what a turn off, really its horrible english anyway and spelled wrong. I honestly dont consider myself that picky..but would this bug anyone else? I don't want to go out with someone who sounds uneducated, a typo is one thing, but I seen it it another....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Relationships

• haha yea I would be a little turned off by that....
    Katie0224

Answer by Katie0224 at 3:45 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I wouldn't rule him out for just the one mistake. I tend to type faster than I spell and often make mistakes when I know better. See how he speaks. Give him a chance. If he also speaks poorly, and that is a major turn off for you, then at least you've tried.

Answer by Bmat at 3:47 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I would be turned off as well. People judge you by the company you keep. If he sounds uneducated, people are going to think that way about you as well.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 3:47 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I think you should give him a chance.. some people use bad grammer just to make you laugh or atleast me and my friends do sometimes to see if others catch it lol. I would go on the date and if he really speaks like that regularly then I wouldn't be able to date him either....GL
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 3:51 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I've actually stopped talking to guys because of how they text. I hate the shortened words these days like ur, yea, wld...it makes people sound lazy and uneducated..I'd let this one time slide, but if it happens again I'd stop texting back.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 3:51 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• don't want to go out with someone who sounds uneducated, a typo is one thing, but I seen it it another.... -- ANON OP
    ----
    See what you typed in my opinion is a bit of a mistake. Everybody makes mistakes, no one is perfect including you. Give the guy a chance.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 3:52 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I'd be turned off. I'd still go on the date, but he'd have one strike against him at that point.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:52 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I don't think it's a deal-breaker. He may have been joking or using a play on words. I think what's far more important is how he treats you. Education and refinement can be learned at any time, but an injerent kindness is harder to find.

My husband did not benefit from a good school system as I did, and his parents did not place an emphasis on education. However, he is one of the kindest, most patient men I know. I am a professional who entertains clients frequently, so it's important to be professional and "correct." Because he loves me, he has learned more grammar and learned to spell better. But you know what-- sometimes his slip ups make my clients feel more comfortable since they themselves don't have to be perfect, either.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 3:58 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Yes, it would have bothered me. My mil says "I seen that" and it drives me nuts.....Then again...I wouldnt say no just because of that. I might still go out with him. If he does it again or does worse...then I might be reluctant....LOL. Call me a snob too, I guess.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 4:03 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I was to first put off by my now husbands writing skills. So much so that I like you considered not going out with him. But I gave it a shot and he is the live of my life. We all have things we are not so good at. It does not us better or worse then the next person. Give it a try and if you can;t get over it well then you cant. But spare the poor guy the why of it. Good luck. ps I my self can be a poor texter. I so wish it had spell check...

lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 4:03 PM on Jul. 20, 2009