How old is TOO old for breastfeeding?

I think when the kid can say "hey mommy I'm hungry" enough is enough- I just watched a show on a mother in England who is still breastfeeding her 9 and 10 year old and her 12 year old just decided to stop reciently-
she says its up to her children when they want to stop.
is it just me, or is this wrong.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think its wrong too. Eeeeew! what do those kids say at school? "hey you wanna come to dinner tonight? we're having tit!"
    Anonymous

• umm yeah too old.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 3:47 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Well, my son was speaking full sentences by a year, and at least a year is recommended by most medical experts. So I don't think that the child being able to ask for it is a good cutoff. The World Health Organization recommends at least two years. I was aiming to make it to age 2 but my children all weaned between 1 and 2. I would be willing to nurse into the preschool years myself, but not an elementary aged child. I think nursing until puberty is too long.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:47 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• if this was happening in America we would be looked at as sex offenders-

I guess I could ALMOST understand if it was happening in a 3rd world country and this was the only means of a healthy diet, but England?

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 3:48 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Yes, I agree I think its wrong too. The only case I don't really think its wrong to breastfeed that old I guess is like starving children in like Africa or somewhere and that's the ONLY food they can get. Now, my 11 month old is biting every time she eats and I'm so ready to quit, so I don't see how mothers can breastfeed as long as some of them do.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 3:49 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I think if a mother is breastfeeding a child into early puberty, the MOTHER needs to be seen by a doctor. it sounds to me like she NEEDS to feel needed.

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 3:49 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Yes, its weird for me, but I'm not them so how can I really say? I'm bfing an almost 2.5YO and I know I am judged for that.
    Anonymous

• I'm not sure "child-led weaning" was meant for adolescence!?! I breastfed my son till he was 3. Of coarse, by that time it was only a 5 minute comfort night thing for him. I've known women who've breastfed till 4 or 5, that's fine, doesn't weird me out. But i think by the time they go to school, so they are not teased, weaning should be done. I'm a huge breastfeeding supporter, however, somewhere between 2 and 4, maybe should be the time to start weaning, IMO. Regardless, women have to do what they feel is right, and every culture is different. In England, they also don't have a lot of the "hangups" we have hear towards parenthood, drinking, sex, etc.
    Anonymous

• I had a friend in school was still breastfeeding her 4 year old son. She was also the type to just pop out her breast anytime he came up to her to breastfeed. What was really creepy was that she was very petite, and her son was rather tall-- there was only about 1.5 feet that separated them in height. While I find a baby breastfeeding to be rather sweet and heartwarming, I was left rather uncomfortable with a little boy going up to his mom, lifting her shirt, popping her boob out of her bra and start suckling while we were in the middle of a conversation at a party.
    Anonymous

• I think we can all agree that a mother who breastfeeds her own children is too old too breastfeed. Beyond that I judge not.
    Karinza

Answer by Karinza at 3:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2009