potty training

DD is 21 mos. She's been using the toilet since she was 11mos. I never considered it potty training. She would just use the potty sometimes. She now uses it every morning, almost for every poop, after every nap, and 1-2x more in the day. How do I go about making it more frequent? She's cloth diapered & I've started giving her panties over her prefolds instead of diaper covers when we're home -she likes them. She likes to see pictures of other babies using the toilet in her books. IDK if I should use rewards yet. She gets hugs, hi5s, praise, etc. I don't like the idea of food as a reward and can't afford much now. So I was thinking of a star chart. Is 21mos old enough to understand that? Any other positive training tips? (I won't do candy or punishment for accidents) Any books or videos for kids that make them want to go? Like I think I saw an Elmo episode just for potty training somewhere....

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 3:50 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like you're doing fine already. For my daughter, we just gave her plenty of praise and reinforced that she was becoming a big girl.
    fizzy

Answer by fizzy at 3:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Happy dances, and stickers are what I plan to use. We're not quite there yet though, so don't know how well it works. It can't be bad though.
    Destiny13

Answer by Destiny13 at 5:06 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• But you sound right on track! I don't like the idea of food rewards either. It seems like that would be begging for some sort of eating disorder, or something...
    Destiny13

Answer by Destiny13 at 5:08 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• walmart had the elmo potty time and it worked for my son and a friend of mine her daughter
    logansmom6106

Answer by logansmom6106 at 6:40 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I just kept the potty out when at home and let her run around with no panties on so when she felt like she had to pee she could run to the potty and just get on it without worrying about taking her panties off. Once she got the hang of this she wore panties.
    Gkmandy

Answer by Gkmandy at 1:18 PM on Jul. 21, 2009