Spinoff of another question!

Does it bother you when other people cuss around your kids? I was at our apt complex pool yesterday and one of the moms kept saying "It's f***ing cold!" over and over again. The pool was full of kids within earshot. I didn't know if I could say anything because she was with 5 other girls and they all looked pretty rough! I'm sure they wouldn't have hesitated to jump me because they didn't care how they were talking to their kids! They were telling them not to be effing crybabies when they were trying to learn how to swim! Otherwise I would have said in a nice way, "Could you please not cuss around my kids?" But these days you can't say anything to anybody without them gettig defensive. I don't know if I was just being uptight but it annoyed me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I cuss probably more than I should, but I don't do it in front of any little ones (I'm 8 months pregnant with my first). I've always had that rule around little kids, especially the ones that are learning to talk and will repeat anything! :) I think it is VERY rude to cuss in a place that is full of kids. Its tacky if nothing else, and you should have the right to say something.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 4:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• OMG! I guess I'm a prude, but to talk like that as a mother at a place loaded with kids is crazy!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:55 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• ya that would bother me i can understand a slip up. my father in law and sister n law used to use racial slurs alot and around my kids and that bothered me alot too.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 3:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I would have been annoyed at their attitudes towards the kids learning to swim. The swearing wouldnt have bugged me really. It gets obnoxious if used over and over and over like a broken record but hearing it every so often wouldnt bug me.

My kids have heard swearing before from a variety of sources, so hearing it every now and then isnt a big deal to me or them.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:57 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• i would have gottenmy kidsout the pool and left not stayed soo they can hear what they were saying
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 4:00 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• yes, i would have been offended. I was in line at McD's in walmart one day with my 21/2 yr.old, two guys ahead of me were "f" and "s" rpeatedly. I, jokingly, said "you boys have a potty mouth", they turned around with a surprised look and i said "could you please not curse while i'm in line with my son?" They apologized and it was pleasant. Then they told the woman they were with, a mother, sitting at the table with a kid, what happened, and she got pissed b/c i said something. She was cursing in front of her child, and i kinda thought she was going to beat on me. I took my son and left! I know i could have left, but i beleive cursing is like second hand smoke, it's offensive and bothers me, and i have everyright to be in a public place w/o being exposed to it:)
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 4:04 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I cuss like a sailor - used to be one, in fact. However, I don't cuss out in public, other than just loud enough for my husband to hear, because I don't want kids to hear it and I don't want to offend little old ladies and little old men. I've told people I've been with to watch what they're saying when I see kids around.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Yes, it always did bother me. I feel that if you want to curse around your children, fine, do it in your own home. Don't assume that everyone wants someone to curse around their children. I don't think that adults should curse around children anyway. It takes away their innocents. That's not being a prude; it's being an adult.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:55 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I would have just told my child you see how that lady is speaking? Those are bad words and should not be said. Don't be scared to protect your kids. What if some stranger who "looked tough" came to you and was trying to take your children away? Would you let them or would you fight to save them? Tell the mother those words are not what you want your child to hear and if she has a problem go talk somewhere else. If she won't stop take your child away until they leave.
    Gkmandy

Answer by Gkmandy at 1:13 PM on Jul. 21, 2009