Stopping pretax deductions and flex spend accts to pay for national healthcare? Has anyone heard this, whether you agree or disagree, I m wondering if its in the bill.

I have NO idea if this is true or not, but my husband said he heard this at work. Part of the new healthcare reform would include stopping the "pretax" on the deductions that those with group healthcare have. For example...our healthcare premiums are divided by 4 and deducted weekly out of my husbands paycheck before taxes. Also included in that is our flex spend account, which is the amount of money we pledge every year for out of pocket medical and dental expenses. The amt we pledge is put onto a mastercard for us to use throughout the year until its gone and that amt is divided by 52 and also taken out PRETAX. So apparently what he heard was that Obama will be TAXING this money that we are already paying and force us to pay taxes on it. That pretax part is what makes healthcare affordable for my family....so is he wanting us to STOP being able to pay for our own healthcare and go on his plan?

momofsaee

Asked by momofsaee at 3:55 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• That is DEFINITELY being considered. Last I heard (2 weeks ago) it was not yet in the bills being formulated.

And to answer your question: "....so is he wanting us to STOP being able to pay for our own healthcare and go on his plan? "
    Yes, that is certain. There is a section in the bill (see the article, linked below) to prevent private insurance companies from enrolling any new customers when the law goes into effect.

Yeah, you heard that right - you can keep your current coverage, but if you have a change of employment, or other reason to change, then your ONLY OPTION is to go onto the gov't plan.
    http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysis/Article.aspx?id=482329

How much more totalitarian - dictatorship - can you get ?!

Phone your Congressmen - both House & Senate - to vote NO.
    Heck - phone EVERY Congressman ... there are only 99 Senators ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:13 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Bunch of BS...The way I see it is it will eventually kill private insurance...and make us all dependent on big govy.I cannot and will not support such garbage.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• There are going to be such huge tax increases to cover this that it would make your head spin. Some states estimates will put the tax burden at nearly 60%. New York is one of those states. People are already leaving NY so who will that burden fall to? yes the middle class. The top wealtiest people could be taxed 100% and it won't come close to funding this bill. So it is still going to hit the middle class hard. they are looking at raising tax on soda, alcohol and many other things now.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Tha ti s what my husband told me also...they are trying to eventually eliminate all private insurance and depend on the government like in some other countries. This means healthcare is going to become rationed and many people who need it are going to be turned away.
    Brickhouse95

Answer by Brickhouse95 at 4:32 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Of course they are trying to grab more control via the eventual kill off of all private insurance companies.They KNOW most American's would NEVER go for that so they have to be sneaky about it all.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:36 PM on Jul. 20, 2009