How do you get your child to sleep in her own bed?

I have a 5yo daughter who sleeps with me. When she was born she had Jaundice and they had lights under her crib, but she would never sleep on them. Her doctor told me she would grow out of it eventually and to just let her sleep with me. Now she is 5 and still sleeps with me. She is getting ready to start kindergarten and I want her in her own bed. We have tried a tent on the floor, leaving lights on, etc. My 8yo daughter shares a room with her and they have bunk beds and that doesn't even work. Any suggestions? Im tired of sleeping with a wiggle worm. Thanks

tschidagirls

Asked by tschidagirls at 3:58 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We had a "Ticket Fairy" come visit my 5 yo ds every night. (This was when he was 3... almost 4.) First we would do a bath, brush teeth, read story, say a prayer, and for the first week or so, I would lay in his bed until he fell asleep. Then, the next week or so, I would lay with him until he was very drowsy, about 15 minutes. Slowly, it was less and less until I just tucked him in. Every night that he slept all night in his own bed, he would wake up to a reward ticket under his pillow. Each time he got 10 tickets, he got to buy a small toy from the dollar store. After a while, it just stopped being an issue. Now, we're going through the same deal with 3 yo dd! lol
    rachel92782

Answer by rachel92782 at 5:45 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• My daughter slept with me from birth till she was 5. And I just simply put her in her room and told her that she could only come out to go to the bathroom. It took awhile and after about 2 weeks she would have a consequence for coming out of her room. You are the parent and if you cave and let her sleep with you it will not stop. Just put her in her room and tell her that she has to sleep there. That you love her, but she is a big girl now. Her sister is there with her so nothing is going to happen. You have to be strict, not mean, but strict. My daughter would not be aloud to play the following morning if she continued to come to my room. Also my daughter got to go to the store and get a stuffed sleepy ( animal) to sleep with after she made it a week without coming to my room. Now she has this teddy that goes to anyones house she sleeps at. It's been 2 years now child free at night and teddy is getting dingier by the day... L
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 10:24 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I told my daughter that her bed is her special bed and only she can sleep in it. My bed is for me and daddy and that is our special bed. I told her that she is a big girl now and her bed is a big girl bed. We also let her help us find a bed for her and decorate her room with things she enjoys. When my daughter would come in the room in the middle of the night, I put her back in her bed and tell her it's bedtime and she needs to sleep in her own bed. It will work, don't tell her she can only come out if she has to use the bathroom, because she will take advantage of that. When my daughter goes to sleep we say "good night, see you in the morning and I love you" that helps her know it is time for bed, and that Mommy will go to sleep when she is sleeping.
    Gkmandy

Answer by Gkmandy at 1:08 PM on Jul. 21, 2009