Is it ok to have the carseats by the doors in the backseat?

We have a 2 year old daughter who is currently sitting in her car seat in the middle of the backseat. We are due in Nov. and will need to put an infant car seat back there with my 2 year old. I think our only options are to put each carseat next to the doors. Is this what a lot of people do? Any suggestions or ideas?

Thank you

khloesmom615

Asked by khloesmom615 at 4:06 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yeah its fine what would you do if you had twins you couldnt possibly drive two cars at once to keep both of them in the middle
    tiffandgene2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 4:13 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Ya that is what most people do anyways it's fine. tiffandgene2009 has a point.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:15 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• that is the only thing you can do when you have more than one child.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 4:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I would move the older child by the door and put the newborn in the middle.
    ours

Answer by ours at 4:41 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• The center is the safest but when you have 2 kids and a car that isn't possible..the sides are fine
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 5:02 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I would move the older child by the door and put the newborn in the middle. (Quoting ours)

Me, too.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:05 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• You could always tie one (or both) on the luggage rack.

I am SOOOO kidding, people!

Put one on each side. I put the baby on the passenger side so I could reach him if I needed to. In most cars it is not possible to correctly install two carseats close enough together to have one on the side and one in the middle. I can't even do it in my suburban seat.
    Anonymous

• I have 3 seats cross my backseat. All spaces used. I try to keep the youngest in the middle.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:57 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Yes it's fine. The middle is the best spot the the least protected child (which would be your oldest) but sometimes car seats don't fit well like that. So then by the doors are fine.
    Keep in mind that the infant seat is much longer and might push the passanger into the dash.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:10 PM on Jul. 20, 2009