Why do people have a negative view or outlook on the mormon religion (LDS)?

Just curious

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• where should i start???
    they send these young boys door to door to give the word of GOD...wtf is up with that
    polygamists fall under the mormon religion
    Anonymous

• A lot of it has to do with misunderstanding what the religion is based on. They firmly believe(because they dont always investigate)that they worship Joseph Smith and thats not the case.
    Christ heads their church. They believe in continuing revelation which bugs people. They believe they have the true church upon the face of the earth and that bugs people. The fact that they practiced polygamy bugs people.

A whole bunch of things bug people. Some will argue they arent even Christian because of how the church is set up and all that. Just depends on who you talk to what they will not like about them LOL.

Most like the importance of the family part of the church tho and the humanitarian aspects LOL.

I personally grew up in the church and was a devout member and thats a lot of what I heard from people. Im not a member anymore but my family is, all of them LOL.

Anyway, thats what Ive heard over the years.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:21 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I would say a mix of the going door to door and misunderstandings about their beliefs.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• but polygomy isnt condoned by the LDS church...from my understanding Joseph Smith secretly practiced it and others followed suit, and the people who practice it now are part of other sects that yes fall under mormon but are radical in their beliefs. and if you dont ike the mormon religion because of radical sects then shouldnt you not like any religion seeing as each religion has people who take the beliefsto the extreme or completly off to left field.
    Anonymous

• Actually, the young boys send themselves. Going on a mission is a choice. I have one brother that went, another that chose not to. Young Women also go on missions and older couples as well.

Mormons used to practice polygamy yes. No secret there. It is no longer practiced by the LDS faith though. There's no way you could convince me to share my hubby, I'm a jealous person as is!

To the OP, not sure if you are LDS or not, but as a life long member I will be the first to admit that many of the things we believe and practice are just plain weird to the rest of the world. I understand why people hate us, why people believe that we are all brainwashed, why people cannot even begin to fathom Joseph Smith's experiences and the things he did. A lot of our beliefs just make no sense to others.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 4:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Polygamy was practiced by Joseph Smith and other church heirarchy that were around long ago.

It was a revelation Smith recieved from the Lord to do so. Much of the polygamy from back then was about helping widows and their children survive in the wilderness and such.

The practice was stopped like 100 or so years ago(dont remember the exact date) and those who wanted to continue left the church. Some were probably excommunicated and others left on their own and they started the FLDS church. They arent affiliated with the LDS church most know.

They arent really sects that fall under mormons. Mormons are the nickname the LDS church was given. FLDS are simply called FLDS. They are a breakaway church like protestants and all those who broke from the catholic church years ago.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• they are not fully open about what goes on, the baptize the dead even if they dead don't want to be baptised by them. A few years back I read an article from an LDS that talked about how pope john paul went straight to hell and another pope they baptized. This is called disrespect for others and that is where the negative view comes from.
    Anonymous

• There are those that try to understand and believe and there are others who'd rather ridicule and bash. That's just the way it is. And I don't fault them for it. Had I been raised outside of the church, and not been thru the testimony building experiences that I have been thru, I could possibly feel the same as those who have a negative out look.

That being said, for the most part I have found many women on this site to be very accepting or at least willing to learn why we believe what we believe. I've even seen NON LDS members stand up for LDS people.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 4:30 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Baptism for the dead is a hot topic as of late.

That does bug people and I can understand why.

And, honestly...you dont know if someone who is dead will accept the baptism or not. We arent where they are to know. Although baptisms are done they are left up to the deceased to accept or reject it.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:32 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• If they wanted to accept the baptism they would have done it while they were alive. I might be able to stomach baptizing those who professed an interest in the church before dying. Baptising someone who never thought about joining this church is down right disrespectful to the dead and to God.
    Anonymous