• In the Spotlight:

How do I get my son to stop chewing the inside of his mouth?

He does it when he's laying down to go to sleep, when he's bored, sitting in the car. He does it until it bleeds.

Summerspirit

Asked by Summerspirit at 4:57 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• idk, i usually do the samething if i'm getting mad... gl though
    Anonymous

• um, I don't know if this holds true for small children, but they do make over the counter mouth guards. When my brother was 8 or 9 he started doing that from stress and my mom bought one of those over the counter things so he had something to chew on that wasn't damaging. If your not able to find one for such a young child you might talk to his dentist or pediatrician, i'm sure your son isn't the only one who does this and i'm sure the cure is simple. Good luck!
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 6:00 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Also, I'm aware small children can choke thats why I said I don't know if they make them for 3 year olds, I just re-read my answer and foresaw some annon attacking me over choking.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 6:01 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• i've done that my whole life and i do it when im bored stressed or concitrating on something . its a horrible habit but the worst part it its actully a bit gratifying to me. talk to your dentist or doc and see what things you can do. because ive been told by a dentist in the past that it can cause cell changes and later in life cause cancer.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 1:02 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I'm sorry I wish I could help but I have been doing it all my life, well I remember starting to do it when I was 5 and I am now 28 and still do it when I am bored, or in deep thought. It is a habit that I never gave up. I dont do it to the point of bleeding but I do do it ALOT.
    paytonleximomma

Answer by paytonleximomma at 10:55 AM on Jul. 21, 2009