How do I get my 3 yr old to listen to me

when my mom keeps, butting in, I have talked to her twice about it and yelled at her once, My son is fine till he gets home, yes I have to live with them I have no money to live on my own yet, anyway she gives him candy after I tell her not to, when I put him in time out he picks him up or tells him poor baby, recently SO has been only working 2 or 3 days and she's driving him nuts too, because my son will not listen when she is there because she will come and but in, any advice!!!

NicholeAT

Asked by NicholeAT at 5:01 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• tell your mom to shut up, it's your kid not hers....my dad does the same thing but the difference is i have my own home.....you should think of getting a job to help out your man so you can get your own place
    Anonymous

• We both got jobs but hour have been cut
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 5:09 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• yeah that does suck, and its really not fair to the child because then he's caught in the middle between mom and grandma. I would just be persistent about how much you appreciate your mother helping you out by opening her house, but that this is your son not hers, and she needs to mind her business and let you parent. You could always remind your mother if the relationship between you and her deteriorates then so will the one with her grandchildren. Don't use your kids as leverage to get what you want, but pointing out that its best for your children to be parented by their own mother and not grandma may remind her that if you end up hating her, it could do long term damage to the family relationship down the road.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 5:48 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• oh i so feel your pain. right now we are living with my husbands grandmother so i can help take care of her and he can go to school. note we do have a house but thats in wisconsin whereas grandma is in arizona. so when he's done with school back home we go.

but anyway, i have the same problem and its a candy thing also. my daughter is one were just one piece is never enough then she proceides to bounce off the walls. and i have told grandma not to give her candy several times. but grandma has a very big sweet tooth and always has candy in some form within her pocession. my husband finally got after her and explain in length to her way we did not like her to have so much candy and sweets (grandma is 90yo) and now she always asks me if my daughter can have a piece.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 12:58 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I'm going through the same thing! I am currently living with my parents (not by choice) with my 2 and 6 year old. I know it can be difficult but tell them they are your kids and you would prefer them not to give them candy or anything besides healthy foods without asking you first. My kids are starting to not listen to me so I have taken it into my own hands to try to keep them busy and spend less time at home with the grandparents so I get get back my role as the parent. It seems to be working (slowly but it is). My daughter is whining less every day. Just keep yourself busy and when the grandparents come around try to leave the room and play with your kids for a while too so you can get their trust back that you are the one in charge. Good luck, I'm with you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Jul. 21, 2009