Do you feel that "Congratulations" is appropriate when addressing teenage pregnancy?

A lot of people do. I don't. What are your feelings?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Seriously I dont understand why you all care if some stranger approves of you being a teenage parent or not. Babies being born into poverty by parents who cannot take care of them and most likely are not even still together at the time of birth is not something that should be congratulated. Guess what that is my opinion, I don't expect pregnant teenagers to hide from society but stop trying to get people who are morally against it to grin and bear it.
    You feel that a baby brought into this world no matter what the situation is a blessing, I disagree. I am not asking you to feel the way I do, I am merely giving my opinion just as you give yours.
    Anonymous

• I got pregnant when I was 18.. had my first child at 19. I was upset with the news, but accepted my child and he was immediately wanted. I would be hurt if no one was happy for me.

As long as the child is wanted, whats the big deal?
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 5:43 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Oh, and before anyone jumps my sh*t, I meant "whats the big deal" about saying congratulations, not the teenage pregnancy in general..
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 5:47 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Its still a new life being created, no matter the circumstances. I am sure no matter what the mom will appreciate hearing a "Congratulations" as opposed to a slam or a snide comment. A new baby is still something to be celebrated, even if the circumstances aren't exactly perfect.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 5:52 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• No, but offering a free ride to Planned Parenthood is, ifyouknowwhatImean
    Anonymous

• " No, but offering a free ride to Planned Parenthood is, ifyouknowwhatImean "

No wonder you went anonymous. I'd be a coward to say that nasty sh*t too.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 5:57 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I usually just say "Good luck"
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 6:10 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• How about "Best Wishes" or "All the best to you"? Either way there are tons of different expressions you could say if saying Congratulations bothers you. Like the PP said it's still another life that has been created, a gift from God.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 6:16 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I don't feel comfortable congratulating a teen for getting pregnant. By teen, I'm referring to those who are still minors. After 18, definitely. There is a big difference in my eyes between someone who is an adult, and someone who hasn't graduated high school. I will usually say I wish them the best of luck, and offer my support.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• But Ginger, not every 19 year old has graduated high school, and some 16 year olds graduate early if they find out their pregnant, so how can you say its acceptable to you if the person is over 18 but not if they're under? What if the teenager has the baby 1 week before her 18th birthday and has already graduated high school, are you not going to congratulate her because she's not yet "an adult"? What about the individuals who look like they're 14, but in reality are 21? Do you honestly make assumptions about people based on whether they look like a high school graduate, or are you opposed to saying congratulations to anyone who looks young?
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 6:34 PM on Jul. 20, 2009