18 month old who will not take a nap!!

i have an 18 month old who in the past week will not nap! i let him cry for awhile till he goes into histarics! May i add that he will not go to bed till 9 or 10 and thats an hour struggle to get him to stop crying! i never have had this trouble before just put him in the bed and he went to sleep!

cortneydmorris

Asked by cortneydmorris at 5:37 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he skips his nap, move his bedtime up. The overall amount of sleep he needs hasn't changed. The screaming and crying when it's "time to sleep" are classic signs of an overtired child. Watch him like a hawk this afternoon and evening. Give him his bath and have him in his PJs by 5. As soon as you see any signs of his being tired - a quiet lull in his play for example - pop him into bed. Even if it's 6pm. The longer you wait, the harder he will fight you when you do put him down. He will be on a adrenaline high and simply will not be able to relax and sleep.

And keep trying for that nap. The vast majority of preschoolers who are given a nap time at school actually sleep. And those are 4 year olds. Very, very few kids do well at this age with no nap - it harms physical and mental development. Keep trying.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:45 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I will attest to the fact that sometimes over crying or not wanting to sleep may be overtired but as a mother of a boy who has hated to sleep since I birthed him, some kids truly show no signs of being tired. My son gets happier and MORE Active when he's overtired and I have to be careful to notice when this is happening cause most of the time I don't notice a difference. My son is 20 months old and we had to use the CIO method because I have yet to see him get drowsy or show signs of getting tired. I would agree to move up the bedtime. There was a couple months my son would go down at 6pm because his normal bedtime of 7:30 he would cry for up to 2 hours because he was overtired.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:49 PM on Jul. 20, 2009