My daughter is afraid I am going to get lost when she sleeps, what can I do?

My 4yr old daughter is afraid that I am going to get lost, she is all the time attached to me, and when she goes down for her nap she get so upset she makes herself sick. She always asks a million questions as to what I am doing while she is napping or sleeping and will not calm down until she can confirm that I am in bed. She checks on me all the time if I am in another room and she cannot find me right away she starts screaming. I have tried everything I need advice!!!

2hmom

Asked by 2hmom at 5:41 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Oh my. Well, this sounds heartless, but I wonder if she is being manipulative. Likely she isn't, but it is something to consider. She may have gotten herself into this and it is a habit now, and she knows that mother comes running and comforting when she does it. You can tell her that you will open her door every 15 minutes while she is sleeping until say 10 PM, but that her crying out will not bring you any sooner. Every 10 minutes if necessary. Then space it out, 20 minutes, half hour, etc. Ask her doctor about this if nothing works.

Answer by Bmat at 5:46 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• That much anxiety seems a bit abnormal to me. Have you mentioned anything to her pediatrician? Getting physically ill is not only bad for the child, it takes a toll on the stomach, throat, even children's teeth. If she were just over-protective I think i'd work on some behavioral things at home and give it time, but just personally if my own child were becoming physically ill from being away from me in the short period of nap time I'd be consulting his physician. That's alarming to me.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 5:55 PM on Jul. 20, 2009