Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do i file for divorce without lawyers....

i live in nc and it is a mutual divorce so i want to make it quick and easy

Answer Question

Asked by jesslovesyou08 at 5:43 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Relationships

Level 16 (2,704 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • do to the court house and get the papers fill them out return them and pay the $250

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:44 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

  • You cannot do it without some kind of law involved. You can do it through a mediator. thats what my parents did and they sit both of you down, dont pick sides, and figure everything out and get the papers signed right then and there. My parents did it and it got finished in a week! GL!


    Answer by Alysia_Moore at 5:45 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

  • You can get the papers off of the internet. Fill them out, then go to the court house && have them notorized. They will give you a court date. You go to court tell the judge why you want a divorce && he signs the papers.

    My SO did it this way && it saved him about $2500, no lawyers involved at all.

    Answer by HisMommySince07 at 6:04 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

  • If you have children or own real estate together you cannot do it without an attorney. If you don't then get on your county court house website and download the proper papers and follow the instructions

    Answer by admckenzie at 6:10 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

  • My SO has 2 children with his ex-wife. Whether you agree on everything or not, you don't have to have a lawyer. If you agree on everything then you just write it all down && sign. If you don't, then you can still get the divorce, you just have to have a separate custody case.

    Answer by HisMommySince07 at 6:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

  • people need to get their facts together before they start talking...

    you dont need a lawyer just get the papers off the internet and file then they will give you more papers at the district clerks office to fill out and its now a law (at least in texas) that if you have children that you need to take a parenting class and file the completion certificate. its a process but kids or no kids it can be done as long as the case is uncontested...

    im going through this all right now so i know.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

  • I went online and looked up the papers downloaded them and filled them out other than fileing them i never had to go to court and it was over in 90 days.

    Answer by Alie1313 at 8:05 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.