How do you/did you exercise while pregnant?

I'm pregnant. My doctor and all other reports I've found suggest pretty much keeping your normal pre-pregnancy fitness routine. Really all I was doing was sometimes 15 min of yoga in the mornings and then running my butt off as a server/bartender on like 8 hr shifts. I went on maternity leave at 4 mos pregnant (long story) and all moms I knew at the time warned me against sitting at home getting lazy. I thought I'd stay active but really I just surf the web all day. and when I try to do yoga, man it doesn't really work! Do you know of a good place online I could find some pregnancy yoga moves? What do you do to keep in shape? I got a pregnant bellydancing video but I haven't tried it yet. I'll let you know how it is.

vintagesnow

Asked by vintagesnow at 5:46 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I walked and did yoga. I had to stop doing headstands when the baby pressed too much on my diaphragm so that I was uncomfortable. My doctor had told me the same thing, keep doing what I had done before as long as I was comfortable. The yoga I did was regular hatha yoga. If you aren't used to some of the moves, such as headstands, certainly don't do them.

Answer by Bmat at 5:49 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I at least try to do 30 minutes of fast walking, even if it's in my house. I just walk back and forth throughout the house. It's easier if you do it in 3's. Like 10 minutes in the morning, 10 minutes in the noon, and 10 minutes in the evening. 30 minutes of walking vigorously, dancing, swimming, etc. is ideal.

They also have pilates videos for pregnant women.

Anonymous

• Try swimming with other expectant moms.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 5:57 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I did no less than 45 minutes of intense weight training plus 30-45" of moderate to high intensity cardio at least four days per week, and walked for about an hour every day during nearly my entire pregnancy. I also did plenty of stretching and yoga in between, and I'm convinced that all of that exercise contributed to having a comfortable pregnancy and delivery. I kept up the intensity until the last three weeks of my pregnancy, at which time one of my neighbors shared her particularly nasty flu bug with me. After delivering I waited 1-2 weeks to heal, and got right back to the exercise, including long jog/walks with my newborn in the stroller. It was great!
    Intrepid

Answer by Intrepid at 10:19 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I'm in a weight lifting class at the gym and I plan on getting started on simple cardio routine(elliptical machine). I'm not gaining 50lbs with this one!
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 10:59 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Holy cow, intrepid! I don't even know what to say to that except.. I feel really lazy. lol Just to let y'all know I did the bellydancing tape and it felt really good, but it left me wanting more intense exercise. I think I'll try to find a place to swim, and on days that's not realistic I'll try to dance or at least do fast-paced walking. Thanks for the feedback!
    vintagesnow

Answer by vintagesnow at 10:45 PM on Jul. 22, 2009