Are they trying to screw me out of workers comp pay?

I had surgery, covered under workers comp. For me to get my pay I have to be off 14 days. I went to the doctor to have nmy dressing removed. He had me off for two weeks. My job wants me to come back tomorrow, even though it hasnt been 14 days. I am two days shy of it.

I called the workers comp guy and left a message. The doc is gone for the day.

Do I go in tomorrow and get it sorted out or not go and get it sorted out.

I could really use advice from someone who deals with workers comp and hr.

MizzNicole

Asked by MizzNicole at 5:54 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Money & Work

• Did the dr release you to go back to work? Did the dr specifically say you couldn't work or did he place restrictions on you that your employer couldn't put you to work while meeting those restrictions? If he just placed restrictions, it may be that they have now found something you can do while meeting the restrictions, or it may be that they are trying to get out of it. If he specifically said you couldn't work, then I don't think they can ask you to come back until he releases you to return to work. It's been a while since I had anything to do with Worker's Comp, so I could be wrong on this. Hope that helps a little; maybe someone else will have a better answer.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:30 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• It is their job to try to get you back to work as quickly as possible. Often, they will try to make it less than the time when you will qualify for workman's comp pay. However, if the doctor has cleared you to go back to work, or they are able to find work fitting your restrictions, there is not a lot you can do. If the doctor has said you cannot go back to work till such and such date, then no they cannot ask you back before then. If this is the case, do NOT let them intimidate you and do not go back to work before the approved date. If you do, they may have a case to say "well she worked AMA, and therefore we do not have to pay for any of her medical treatment because she is not following doctor's orders." Hope this helps!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 6:39 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Well the doctor released me because my job said they have one handed work to do. That is the ONLY reason why.
    MizzNicole

Answer by MizzNicole at 9:38 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• If you don't have a written doctor's release, DO NOT go back. You will lose your workers comp. Do NOT go back until you talk to the workers comp company either.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:31 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• he released me with restrictione because they have one handed work, or so they say. But according to the workers comp guy, I have to be off 14 days to receive my pay.

I have heard many things.....I still dont know what to do.
    MizzNicole

Answer by MizzNicole at 4:09 AM on Jul. 21, 2009