Should I? or shouldnt I?

So I recently wanted to get a tattoo in memory of my deceised twin/first born son. I have never gotten a tattoo but I want one now. I did however read in the bible that you should't make markings on yourself because your body is a temple. I'm not sure weather I should or shouldnt I know that I wouldn't regret gettting this tattoo. I've been told not to cause since I saw it in the bible its disobeying God but I was also told that, that was in the olden days and that things were way diffrent back then like marrying your sister/brother and that it's not ok to even get a piercing. I just want to know that it wouldnt be like a super major sin and that I wouldnt go to hell for it! So confused! trying to make up my mind but I don't know what to do.

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 6:00 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You aren't going to go to hell if you get a tattoo in memory of your son. That's ridiculous. If it's important to you, and I do think this is a good reason to get a tattoo, than go for it.
    Anonymous

• What do you feel is right? What is your conscience telling you? Do you feel peace in your decision? It doesn't matter what we say, what do you feel God is telling you? If you aren't really sure, move towards getting it. If you have peace go ahead. If not, don't. :)
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:31 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• im not going to say its a sin cause im not sure my self but i will give you a few bible verses that may help you out on this God bless
    Romans 12:1 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God – this is true worship.
    Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.
    Leviticus 19:28
    1 Corinthians
    Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.
    1 Corinthians 3:16-17
    Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you? If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him. For God's temple is holy, and you are that temple.

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 6:37 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Cont...........
    1 John 2:15-17
    Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever
    1 Timothy 2:9
    Likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire
    hope this could help God bless you

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 6:39 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• YOU ALREADY HAVE YOUR LOST SON ENGRAVED IN YOUR HEART, WHY WOULD YOU NEED MORE?

Answer by older at 6:54 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• If you feel it is right go for it. Temples have paintings and stained glass windows. A tattooo is a painting on your body.
    Anonymous

• If you want a tattoo, I say go for it. I think the verses hinson was referring to markings in a tribal or Pagan form or ritual - but this is just my personal interpretation. Do YOU feel that it's right for you? Are YOU comfortable with it? If so, then go for it!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 7:15 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I'm a Christian and it is not a sin... I'm tattooed and pierced. My son is in ministry and he's tattooed. The verse in Leviticus is often quoted but it is out of context. If you have prayed about it and are at peace with it... go for it. The only opinion that matters is God's and not anyone else's. There's a great teaching on the verse that's used about tattoo's if u want more info PM me.. also there's a group on here for tattooed christian moms.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 7:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I think its the attitude behind it that God is most concerned about. I think memoralizing death can sometimes be extreme but in your case, I think its sweet that you would want to remember him that way. Its not a sin in that manner. Yes, the old testament was referring to occultic practices or something representing an idol, IMO. When Steven Curtis Chapman (hes a very popular christian musician) lost his daughter in a horrible accident, his entire family had a picture she drew tattooed on their bodies. The mother had it done on her wrist. It was the very last picture she drew and it was symbolic. He felt like God was speaking to him through his picture and letting him know she was okay. It was the sweetest story I had ever heard. Again, I think its more the heart and attitude behind it rather than the act itself. The mere fact that you want to please the Lord is enough to make him smile.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:23 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• The verses in the Bible, as Jennijune said, do not refer to body art or tattoo memorials of loved ones. There is nothing in the Bible prohibiting you from getting a tattoo. One can argue as to whether or not a tasteful tattoo defiles the body. I personally do not believe that it does.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:30 PM on Jul. 20, 2009