My 13 year old wants to grow up she says she hates living here and wants to be on her own because I have rules!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• LOL, see if I were her mom, I would find a friend or someone who would play along with me...I would get her an apartment...lol (playing of course) I would find her some used free furniture....set her up and leave her for the night....give her a few groceries and place the unpaid bills for her place and the groceries on the counter....

LOL, seriously that would take some effort on your part, but well worth her reaction. lol...she would never expect you to do this....

A real life lesson, reminds me of the Cosby show...;)
    Anonymous

• lol.. just leave her alone to be angry. she'll get over it when she runs out of money to go to the mall with her friends. she sounds like i was as a teen.

she already knows she can't get a job yet, others won't support her permanently, and there are rapists out there waiting for her if she decides to run for the streets. she's just doesn't agree with your rules. maybe have a sit down with her and discuss what she thinks isn't fair, and maybe negotiate. but you need to firmly make her understand that in the end, you get the final word.
    Anonymous

• Then it sounds like you're doing a great job =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 6:34 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• lol she wants to grow up??? she has no clue how hard life is i would love to be 13 again.....be sturdy with her tell her she is the CHILD u are the PARENT she will grow up soon enough and if she isnt fallowing ur rules punish her make her clean the base boards do laundry etc she needs to have a strong person tell her.....she should have fun being a kid while she can and if not then she should be punished by doing chores all the time.....then when she GROWS up she will look back and say man i had it easy and it could of been fun but i was complaing to much and now that im A BIG GIRL i wish i could be 13 again.......
    Anonymous

• Sounds like alot of teens, my DD was the same way. Now that she is a senior in high school, she has changed her mind. At your DD age they THINK they know everything..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I would just tell her in life there will always be rules. I would tell her I still love her and that one day it will all make more sense.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 6:40 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• She sounds like a normal 13 year old. Be sure to hug her often.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:47 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Stop doing everything for her. Make her clean her room, do her own laundry, cook her own food. Charge her when you do things for her. Show her what it is like to live on her own. Take everything away but her bed. She has to earn everything back. Her job can be chores around the house that she doesn't normally do. Remind her that she will always have to deal with rules and she can't always be the boss and have her own way. She is being a normal teenager and show her that you love her no matter what.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:38 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• SHE SOUNDS LIKE SHE IS LIKE EVERY OTHER TEEN OUT THERE. STAND YOUR GROUND!

Answer by older at 11:10 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My son recently said that to me. He said I am going to walk out the door and never come back. I then said " I will miss you" he want to his room pouted for a few hours and it was over. Normal teen stuff. I remember when I said that to my mom and she said " want me to help you pack?" This to shall pass.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 2:19 PM on Jul. 21, 2009