If you have or are currently breastfeeding were you/are you able to pump?

I see alot of mom's saying they had no problem with breastfeeding but when they tried to pump were not able to get much milk. I am currently breastfeeding and have tried to pump with absolutely no success (quality of the pump does not seem to make a difference). I don't really care although sometimes it would be more convenient (like if I could pump some out for a midnight feeding for my husband to do). Anyway, just curious to see how many others have had the same problem.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had a big problem pumping. It just wasn't working for me.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 6:51 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• There are moms who can nurse twins and not get a drop from a pump. Normal.

That said, drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group and we can see if there might be something correctable.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:53 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I was never able to pump. I rented a hospital grade pump, had a consultant, and tried and tried. The most I ever got was about a tablespoon and that was after 1/2 an hour.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:59 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I think for some people it's too artificial to be able to pump and you are just not able to let down. Have you tried to hand express?
    Personally, I never had any trouble with it.... I could easily get 8-9 oz in 10 minutes.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:07 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• yes i can pump and have but its a pain in the butt
    Anonymous

• I never did well with a pump.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• it just depends how paitinet(spelling) u are, ur suposed to leave the pump on u for at least 10 mintues,even if nothing comes out,. just keep trying.ur body has to get used to pumping and it depends on when baby eat from u too.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:30 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I just did my fist pumping session today and got about 5 oz in 15 min. from one breast. I massaged my breast in a circular motion and the milk let down after a few seconds. I have an electric pump made by Lansinoh and it seemed to work very well. If you're able to get your milk come down before you start you may have better luck. Also try it in the morning, as this is when you probably have the most milk, I know I do. Pumping is only half the battle, the other half is getting your baby to accept the bottle, and that's where I find my challenge. My baby only took about an ounce today in a twenty min. period, after he grew frustated I breast fed him.
    Good luck though.
    pgaytan

Answer by pgaytan at 12:15 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I never needed to pump. I did get decent amounts most of the time when I did.
    1/2 ounce to 2 ounces (from BOTH breasts) is normal pumping output. Anything over that is extra.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 2:05 PM on Jul. 21, 2009