if you feed your baby formula do they end up getting sick more?

is it okay to feed your baby formula???and does have to be a really good brand?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breastfeeding reduces risk of illness. Which means...you *can* have an always sick breastfed baby, and an amazingly healthy formula baby. Or the reverse.

OK to feed formula is between you and the woman in your mirror. Do some research on formula and read the ingredients. Then decide on the OK.

Brand depends on the BABY. Some will be particular. Some won't care.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• DS has never been sick and he is one and has been FF for one year. He drinks Similac Advance
    smarshy

Answer by smarshy at 6:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Well said gdiamante!

The brands all meet the same nutrituional standards. Some babies prefer one brand over another.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:57 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• My son is now 13, and they've probably made changes to formula since he had it, but from what I heard in talking to other people who breastfed, my son didn't get sick any more than theirs did...As for the formula, I can't remember what he drank, but it's what they put him on in the hospital. He was in the NICU for 10 days, so by the time I got to bring him home, he was already pretty much used to what they stuck him on.
    Mrs.Frazzle

Answer by Mrs.Frazzle at 6:57 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I think many parents on here will say that breastfed babies get sick less. And I'm sure there are studies that prove that it's true. However, as a pediatrics nurse, I don't see that being the case. I see just as many children sick in the hospital that are breastfed as those who are formula fed.
    My son was breastfed and he was still sick a fair amount this year... he just turned one and he had about 8 colds and 1 case of the stomach flu and 1 ear infection.
    I think the larger factor is how much your child is exposed to (daycare or whatever) and the individual child and if they are prone to being sick.
    I think breastmilk is still a better choice as far as nutrition for your baby.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:01 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• my son was formula fed and hes only ever had 2 colds and a 24 hour bug he caught from me....oh yeah it was gross
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 7:09 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• My first was almost total formula. He was in the hospital sick on and off his whole first year. My second got a decent amount of breastmilk (I lost supply when my dad died thanks to stress), and she hasn't had a cold (almost age 3). My third was totally breastfed, and is 19 months old and has yet to have a cold even.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Mine were all formula fed and were sick no more than any other average baby.
    Anonymous

• breastfeeding does give them a jump start to help build their immune system but many formula babies are fine. I asked both my dd's to breastfeed their children at least the first week then go to formula if they wanted. That way they got the best of both worlds.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:00 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• out of 25 babies in my family, only 2 have been breastfed and those two , coincidently have been in and out of hospitals, one has bad bad ear problems and the other was throwing up alot the first year and then had numerous othe problems. The formula fed babies never had more than a slight fever every year or so or a random cold. I think its just on average babies can do better being breastfed but its not always the case and not breastfeeding is not a death sentence. I was not breastfed and never have been one to get sick , only had sinus problems which was taken care of with a surgery.
    Anonymous