How do you teach a 2 year old the cat box is not a mini sand box with prizes to dig up?

MAUREEN55

Asked by MAUREEN55 at 6:59 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my DD tries to do the same thing. i tried putting a baby gate up to keep her out of the laundry room (where the litter box stays), but the cat refused to jump over the gate and started using the rest of the house as his litter box! Now I keep her out by gating the two hallway enterances so she can't get to the laundry room, but so that the cat can still reach his potty room! :)
    rachelsmommy78

Answer by rachelsmommy78 at 9:37 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Get him his own real sandbox and move the litter box to the garage. (put in a pass-through pet door)
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:02 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Ewwww!

Moving the sandbox might be the only option. But double check before putting a cat door into a house-to-garage door. It will probably violate fire codes.

You could also try one of the covered cat boxes.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:06 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• at the beachThat's about the funniest thing i've heard in a while! Maybe you could put the cat box inside an old playpen (the kind with slates that looks like a mini jail). the cat can go in between the rails and the child can't get in. No kid wants in a playpen anyway! lol  Or how about a gate. Do they make the kind with slats anymore or just the mesh? Wow, this one is a keeper of cute questions!

Answer by admckenzie at 7:07 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I'd love to put it where he can't get to it, but we don't have a good spot for that. He has a real sandbox which is what I think inspires him.

throwing up

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:09 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• YUCK!

http://www.designercatbox.com/?gclid=CJ_esuyz5ZsCFQ9JagodJnbl6Q

You can make one of these with an old bedside table, the ones with two drawers. You cut off the top drawer and glue the front back on the chest and then put the cat pan in the bottom drawer. Cut a hole in the side of the chest and voila no more baby in cat box.

I found some instructions to make on too.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Hide-in-plain-sight-Cat-Litterbox/

Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:14 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I have mine up by the other stairwell in my house since we have two and there is a baby gate that the cat just jumps over ...i wihs i could have it elsewhere but my cat is picky :/
    MommyOf2kids67

Answer by MommyOf2kids67 at 7:36 PM on Jul. 20, 2009