What would you do if you had split custody?

and you got your kid back from him being with his dad for a few months, and he starts telling you about the tv shows Family Guy and Buffy: The Vampire Slayer.. he's almost 5. I'm a tad upset that he got to watch this kind of stuff, the material is not acceptable to me and I don't know what to do, because every time I try and talk to him about stupid stuff like this, he gets upset and ignores me, like I hurt HIS feelings or something.
Now what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:01 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• Not age appropriate for him but it's not the worst thing in the world either.

Anonymous

• when my step daughter (also 5) is at our house she watches jerry springer...its not a big deal let it go.
    Anonymous

• Is it to hard to turn the channel to Noggin?of disney channel...I def understand you getting upset I would be very angry...i would throw an F'en tantrum like a 5 year old to him...lol
    0MyNameIsMom0

Answer by 0MyNameIsMom0 at 7:34 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Did your 5 year old go into detail about the episodes watched on TV or just mention the shows? Maybe he didn't actually watch them, but caught a glimpse, was told what was on, and then shooed away? Unfortunately, you have to pick your battles, and this is one you might want to let go.
    lbmom2

Answer by lbmom2 at 9:49 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Pick your battles. If the worst that is going on his your child watching Family Guy and Buffy, I would let it go. At his age, he may not even understand what is going on in the shows. And how do you know if actually watches the shows or he just seen them in passing?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:54 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I agree with the poster above me. He's a tad too young to really understand all of the "inside jokes" and innuendos the tv shows you mentioned. My 13 month old is an avid fan of the Golden Girls, and if you've watched that show, they are a bunch of randy senior citizens! But there's no way she could possibly understand any of what's going on.
    Anonymous