Circumcision

My son is going tomorrow for his circumcision and I was curious if anyone had any good advice and tips on how to make him more comfortable after wards. I know that he is going to hurt for a while. I also know to have petroleum jelly and gauze pads. I just don't want to see him in a lot of discomfort.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:05 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is he?
    Anonymous

• He is almost a month. I have Medicaid and they wouldn't cover it in the hospital when he was born so that is why it is being done a little later.
    ahelliott143

Answer by ahelliott143 at 7:10 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• My boys had it done when they were a couple of days old. Just keep it clean and make sure to use a lot of the vaseline so it doesn't stick to the diaper. You can ask the dr doing it how much of what pain reliever to use.
    Are they using the plastibel ring or the other method? Mine all had the plasitbel and were fine. My oldest boy's did get infected and the ring had to be clipped off, but it wasn't a big deal. Just keep a close eye on it.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Change his diaper often, I think the pee stings it a little bit. Both my sons were circ'd. One had the plastibell and the other didn't. The plastibell is nice because you don't have to petroleum jelly him up and it falls off in like 10 days. Good luck with everything.
    jkt747

Answer by jkt747 at 7:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• My son had it done a few days after birth, they used the koppel (?) method, they gave him a lanocaine shot first to numb the area and then my hubby put his finger in sugar water and put it in my ds mouth. My hubby said ds cried for like 2 seconds when the lanocaine shot was given and that was it.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 7:30 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• my son was done when he was a couple weeks old. he really never seemed to have pain at all during it, well i mean when the gave him the shot ;.; my DH made me stay in the room (i hide sitting behind the dr's back) but i mean he got his revenge he peed on the dr before it and then in the middle of it. but as long as you sit there and change his diaper lot more then normal to make sure its all ok. and the petroleum jelly on ( we were told to put it on the diaper and a little on his thing) and listen and do as the dr tells you he should be fine. ask the dr if you think he's in pain what the dr says you should do (like give him something or air it out a little kinda things) he should be fine. :) just so much harder that its your little baby going to get it done.
    bkwrmem

Answer by bkwrmem at 7:40 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Dont do it, thats my advice!
    Anonymous