sleeping issues...

My DS will be 3 at the end of August and he used to sleep very well 10 to 12 hr nights which was really good for me..i could do homework for college and things like that he used to get into bed around 7:30-8 and now i cant get him into bed before 11.....we do bath after dinner and then he watched a quiet movie like Finding Nemo or something but with this new thing he is doin....he doesnt settle down at all! He is like the energizer bunny he just keeps going and going and going and never stops from 7 am until 11 pm without a nap he quit those when he hit 2! Is there anything i can do someone suggested Melatonin but i dont wanna do that unless its absolutely necessary.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ten to 12 hour nights are pretty unusual! No, DO NOT give melatonin. You might try warm milk at night.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:23 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• OP here....his DR saidi he should be sleeping at leat 10 hrs a night but he is only sleeping like 7...and warm milk doesnt even work :(
    Anonymous

• is he getting enough exercise during the day?
    LJSMOM31

Answer by LJSMOM31 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• OP here...he runs around outside...we talk walks throughout the neighborhood on a daily basis... someone mentioned ADHD a while back to me because he never stops going.....but that cant be the ONLY reason my DD has no sleeping issues he is the only one that does...
    Anonymous

• The "Energizer Bunny" is the key... he's overtired. Once young kids get overtired, their bodies releasea adrenaline. Think how calm and quiet you would be after a car wreck or after riding the biggest, fastest, scariest roller-coaster ever. Now try to go to sleep.

Drop the movie. Even a "quiet" movie is very stimulating at this age. After dinner, read a couple of quiet, short stories and put him in bed. If he fights you, aim earlier the next night. Once he's well rested again, you can try inching his bedtime back to normal. Keep in mind that his activity level during the day (from physical stuff and mental learning too) will increase his sleep needs for that day. Never go by the clock. Go by how he is acting.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:37 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I should add - my daughter is the same way. I can't tell you the number of people who have marveled at how much "energy" she has after a day at the zoo, park, or where ever. I know it's not energy. It's pure adrenaline. She bounces like a ping pong ball in an olympic match, so tired she can't see straight, bouncing off the walls and all the people around her. And she fights sleep tooth and nail on those days too. On regular days when she doesn't get overtired, she falls asleep easily at bedtime.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:40 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• "OP here....his DR saidi he should be sleeping at leat 10 hrs a night but he is only sleeping like 7..:\

Seven sounds completely reasonable to me, and ten rather unreasonable. But I am one of a family of non-sleepers. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 11:51 PM on Jul. 20, 2009