Does anyone actually debate anymore?

Anytime someone posts a question thats considered a hot topic, the answers often head south quickly and result in people attacking one another and drama. What ever happened to the idea of actual debate? You can have your opinion, I'll have mine, we can present the facts from both sides, and if your/mine opinion changes great, if not so be it. Why does everyone have to resort to name calling, and full out personal attacks? In real life, I love to just debate with people. My friends and I will pick a topic, and 99% of the time it ends with you have your opinion I have mine, but I find it fun, and often times educational. Usually I learn something about the other sides point of view I'd never thought of before. Do any of you actually debate anymore, and agree to disagree in the end, or is it all "you must be retarded" "well you're a troll" "well you can't fix stupid" and other childish personal attacks?

ba13ygrl1987

Asked by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yeah I love a good debate. But a lot of questions on here make people feel as if they're being judged when it wans't about them. I don't mind someone asking me why I have a certain view, but today someone told me to Shut the bleep up over my view and to me that is taking the topic down a path it shouldn't be going. I guess there will always be some who just can't handle someone having a view that doesn't line up with their own.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 7:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• You know what REALLY annoys me? Single moms who work AND go to school and are wasting our money with food stamps! Don't have kids if you can't afford them!

Note: I am just kidding, the OP is my best friend. Please don't kill me.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 7:43 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I find that when the answers go "south" it is because they are based on emotion. These ladies don't seem to actually do the research or read for themselves. They are the ones who get their news through the grapevine. They also feel threatened by anyone who can actually support their opinions by offering facts from sources other than "The View" or "Keith Oberman", so they begin name calling in an effort to intimidate. They count on the fact that informed people will leave and go elsewhere and leave them to perpetuate myths instead of having intellectual discussions.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:48 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Well around here, I think the problem starts with the original post. Arguments are not presented in a debatable fashion. They start off as "here are the facts and you're stupid if you don't see it this way" so the other side is on defense right away.

Also there are usually a group of people who "gang up" on someone trying to make a valid point saying their argument is wrong or their facts aren't straight (even if they are) so no one will take the other side seriously.
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 8:05 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I think it's crazy. People are too sensitive and quick to jump. They don't understand that just because you don't have the same view point as them that you are automatically wrong and therefore they HAVE to be hateful. Nobody knows the meaning of "agree to disagree".
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 8:11 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Excuse me MOST people do not know the meaning of "agree to disagree".
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 8:12 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I miss real debates to! I have to admit though for the first time I called a person a troll today because they put all black people in the same category after much evidence proving their theory wrong.
    Brickhouse95

Answer by Brickhouse95 at 8:13 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• thank you tori...

Rylee I agree with you completely, its like no one on here was ever taught how to debate, how to let go... Blogs are constantly presented as fact, and when someone comes up with an actual source, they're ganged up on. Just once I'd like to see a bunch of grown women have an intelligent debate where no one was called stupid for their point of view. I presented my view once, it only took 1 sentence... 2.5 hours later I was still defending myself from being called a dumb blonde, and told to pull my head out of my ass... not one person gave me a reliable source to back their information up... I wanted to type angrily (since i can't yell into the computer) those people were the dumb ones. They had nothing to go off of besides calling me stupid, not one piece of factual evidence... I finally said you have your opinion and I have mine and the person responded with "and your wrong". At that point, I just gave up
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:16 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• There are some intelligent people out there who see both sides of the debate. Although it may offend some people what others think, it is their right to say it and not our own to be offended by it. There are some posts that are main stream and will not see the other side of the question. Then there are some that just allow for any type of comments, only tirades and arguments that lead nowhere. I guess it depends which post you check out...
    pruden5956

Answer by pruden5956 at 8:21 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I would LOVE a good debate without emotion getting in the way! However, this is a site of ALL WOMEN...good luck removing emotion! I also think that some people get so wrapped up in a cause that they can't see the point that someone else is trying to make...I commend people for believing in good causes, but there's lobbying for them and then there's shoving them down peoples' throats and I think that that causes a lot of controversy and turns the conversation south, too.

beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 8:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2009