Whatever happened to that 'no selling of used kid's items unless they've been tested for lead' thing?

I'm just wondering. I was at the Salvation Army store today and there were heaps of kid's clothing. I remember that bill (or whatever it was) being a huge deal a couple months ago.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 7:32 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• "Second hand" stores/businesses were EXEMPT from that law--it only applies to "first hand" or direct sellers of childrens merchandise--toys, clothing, accessories.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I thought I read somewhere it was going to go into effect sometime next year? I might be wrong.. I feel like this bill is quite stupid.
    Anonymous

• Great! so only poor kids have to suffer with lead poisoning...
    Anonymous

• Anon 7:37PM

I guess my response wasn't clear enough for you to understand. It's not poor children who are going to be exposed to lead poisoning, it's that second hand stores that sell previously USED items are not required to pay for expensive testing of children's products.

The reasoning being that if direct sellers of NEW merchandise pay for the testing of children's items or prohibit those items that do not pass inspection, then when they eventually make their way to second hand stores they will STILL be considered acceptable for use by children.

It would have been redundant to make a second hand seller "double test" children's products. Capeche? LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:46 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Well, anonymous - which was worse...
    (1) having the 2nd hand stores close so the "poor kids" had nothing since they couldn't afford new
    or
    (2) having the 2nd hand stores continue to sell used items that had been screened against the recall lists?

Very, very few products are ever recalled for lead. And most of them are cheap junk that don't last long enough to make it to the 2nd hand market.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:48 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I sold some of my son's clothes to a consignment shop last weekend - they were stuffed to the rafters with used clothing (literally, you couldn't walk through the place), and nothing was said to me about testing for lead.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 8:01 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Very, very few products are ever recalled for lead. And most of them are cheap junk that don't last long enough to make it to the 2nd hand market.

Plain and simply not true... I work at a second hand store, many items brought into us we cannot purchase because of lead recalls... Just 8 days ago there was a massive recall of over 80 different pac n plays, but I bet you had no idea of that... Thousands of toys every year are recalled because of lead and other health/safety problems and they're not junk, they're toys made in china and other countries, toys that come from fisher price, matel, playskool... lead recalls are actually on the rise because its getting more focus in recent years, and most of the stuff is not junk.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• It was postponed for a year.

The crazy law would have closed by business. I would have to get each component of every item I make tested. Fabric, thread, zippers, velcro, buttons and such. Each test costs a minimum of $150 and each "batch" must be tested. My typical batch size is 10. So 10 items that sell for a total of about $300 would have cost me more than $3000 to test. It is even sillier when you take into account I use only USA made components and US companies have been under strict lead rules for a long time.

The law was made in response to the bad stuff coming out of China, but of course the citizens of the US ended up being the potential sufferers. Why not a law that just targets imports?
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:23 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• The Goodwill near me actually threw away all of their kids' clothing a while back instead of giving it away. I hurried over to the Salvation Army to stock up for the next year for my two kids, and they said they had no plans to stop selling the second-hand kids' clothes. Now Goodwill has realized that they misinterpreted the law, and that it was mainly for toys, so they are starting to restock the kids' clothes.

A lot of us cannot afford to buy everything brand new. My kids would have like two outfits each.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:43 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Question. If this hasn' taken effect yet, what about the stuff in the thrift stores tha thaven't been tested. Ar ehtye to get rid of everything not tested so that everything is safe.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 7:23 AM on Jul. 21, 2009