How can I get Riley to sleep thru the night?

Riley is 7 months old...but only 6 if you count from his due date. He is not sleeping well. He goes to sleep right after nursing...practically on the boob. He wakes up 4 to 6 times a nite. Wants ME. Does not really want to nurse, just likes to hold my nipple in his mouth. Goes back to sleep on 20 min. usually but sometimes not for 2 hours. Wakes up again in an hour or two. I am so tired. I am not getting enough REM sleep.
REALLY do NOT want to try FERBER method...(cry it out). Does anyone have any suggestions? If my husband goes in, Riley works himself up into a fit and will cry for hours. So he definately wants ME. But I need to sleep too. HHHEEEELLLLLPPPP.

AnnaKaranda

Asked by AnnaKaranda at 8:07 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He is using you as a pacifier and you know it. If he needed to eat, that would be one thing. He just wants to suck himself to sleep. You have three choices:
    Switch him to something else, like a pacifier. Dad will need to do this. He'll go in, snuggle him and offer him the pacifier. With time, he'll adjust but there will be crying.
    Let him cry and get over it. Either parent can do this but it will be faster if dad does it. Go in, make sure he's fine, then leave.
    Keep going in until he outgrows it. Only you can do this, as you know. And there is no way to tell how long it will be until he gives it up. The longer it goes on, the harder it will be for him to give it up.

Hopefully someone else has a trick they've used that doesn't involve crying that actually works.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:26 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• My fiance goes in when my daughter cries at night and just holds her and rocks her until she falls back asleep. She does cry, but at least there is someone in there comforting her. I know that if I go in there all she will do is cry because she'll want to 'eat' even though she doesn't need it. She doesn't wake up too much though and recently we've gotten her used to the paci...it knocks her out just as well as the breast now. She's 4 mos old and has been sleeping through the night since 2 mos so apparently something worked :-)
    AutumnsMom31309

Answer by AutumnsMom31309 at 9:28 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I am trying to get my girl to sleep in her crib at night. She is used to sleeping in bed with us. She sleeps a few hours, wakes and wants to eat. So I go get her and bring her to bed. Once she is out again I put her back in the crib. So far this is working. I find that when I lay in bed feeding her, we both get to relax. Sometimes I fall asleep too, but I always wake up before her so its ok.
    brittneysmom31

Answer by brittneysmom31 at 3:56 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Sleeping all night is a developmental milestone that all babies go through at different times, usually AFTER a year old or more. My baby is 19 months and still wakes up at night. My oldest didn't sleep all night until at least 2 1/2. My baby sleeps with us. It is so much easier to just roll over, let him nurse and go back to sleep without haveing to get out of bed.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 1:52 PM on Jul. 21, 2009