What should I do about my hair falling out?

When I brush daily, I have to empty my brush about 4 times! I used to have thick, curly hair, now it's just thin and it scares me! I was recently put on medicines for diabetes but in all my research, "hair loss" or "thinning" never came up as a side effect. :( What could be the cause? This has NEVER happened to me before and it bothers and worries me :( And no, I haven't changed shampoos. I use Suave and have for a long time. My diet has also been the same, just actually healthier! :)

SuperHumanC

Asked by SuperHumanC at 8:07 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Health

• Have you had a major life event happen within the past year or so? That could be the cause. When you get really sick or have a major issues in your life happen (like death of a loved one) your body stops producing hair and it takes a few months for it to fall out. It can last up to a year.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:31 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• My hair started thinning pretty bad after I had my son almost seven years ago. It still comes out in handfuls, but I guess it's growing too, because I have no balding. Anyway, I took my hairdresser's advice and changed to a better shampoo and that has seemed to help some.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 10:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Get your thyroid checked !
    jamiesuev22

Answer by jamiesuev22 at 2:32 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Yup. GET YOUR THYROID CHECKED. That is a major hint by your body for thyroid issues.
    Look up hypothyroidism and see if it fits you. Please update us though. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 5:25 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Good points! I think I have to just suck it up and go back to the doctor :0(
    SuperHumanC

Answer by SuperHumanC at 10:01 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• OK...duh I totally misread this. Hair thinning is also a sign that your sugars are out of control or changing. How are your sugars?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:58 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Yeah about 2 months ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes...my sugars stayed around 400 but now are around 130 thanks to the meds...
    SuperHumanC

Answer by SuperHumanC at 3:30 PM on Jul. 21, 2009