Getting off the bottle!

I have 2 yr old son named Ezekiel who WILL NOT get off bottle. Please help with any tips!!!

lunagurl03

Asked by lunagurl03 at 8:09 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is there something he wants that you are probably going to get anyway? A tricycle, pool, dump truck. Pack up all the bottles and say, "We can pack up the bottles and get rid of them (throw away or make sure he thinks they are gone) and go get the thing he wants. It's not really a bribe if you don't do it often.

Get him a cool sippy cup or water bottle. There are neat stainless steel drinking bottles for kids with decorative hand holding places. My son works in a health food type grocery store and they have them there. They are neater than the ones at Target. I have a grandson and I've been looking at them. When my kids were little Fisher Price had these neat kids yellow canteens.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 8:17 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• we told my son that a friend of ares baby needed them and we gave them to her and she got rid of them. But he never asked for them again.
    logansmom6106

Answer by logansmom6106 at 8:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Just take the bottle away, throw it in the garbage, of course don't let your ds see you do this. But just get rid of them. Offer a sippy instead. He will fight you for a few days and it won't be easy, but if you stick to it and don't give in...he'll be fine in a few days. GL
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:11 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I don't think kindly of the "just take it away" technique. I think you should try to involve him in the weaning process. How many bottles is he taking per day?
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I didn't have this problem. I got rid of the bottles at 9months when I started switching DD to milk. Make the sippy cups a treat. He's 2 so try making chocolate milk in the sippy cup. After he starts thinking that the sippy is a treat do less and less surup in the milk until you have plain milk. He'll just think he is getting a treat all the time until he forgets all about the bottles.
    MorriganzMommy

Answer by MorriganzMommy at 9:51 AM on Jul. 21, 2009