are the rumors true??

hi. ttc for 3 months now. no luck but i was wondering if rumors i heard were true.

first my husband is a smoker..and i kno that is horrible for ur health but does it affect sperm?

second.. does drinking mountain dew lower sperm count? i know thats silly but ive heard alot of yellow5 rumors. any advice???

ebrittian22

Asked by ebrittian22 at 8:12 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• smoking can damage sperm and kill you

artificial flavors, colors and sweeteners can affect fertiltiy and cause a host of medical issues.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I don't know about the mountain dew, although I doubt it. I've known several men with many children who drink mountain dew like water. The smoking can cause problems with men, but he would have to be smoking about 2 packs a day for it to make any difference. I would consult with your doctor to see.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 8:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Three months is nothing to worry about.
    If you are under 30, go see a doctor if you don't get pregnant in a year.
    If you are over 30, give it 6 months.

There are studies that suggest (not prove, just suggest) that smoking affects sperms ability to move. If they can't move well, they won't reach the egg.
    Even if the studies are wrong, he needs to quit now. Breathing the 2nd hand smoke will affect your baby both during your pregnancy and after.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:21 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Yes, smoking can cause problems. You've only been trying for 3 months. Usually when people have been trying for at least a year is when you should maybe try going to a fertility specialist. We tried for 2 1/2 years until we finally got the positive!
    Anonymous

• he smoke less than a pack a day and he doesnt smoke around me. im 20 so i think i sholdnt have issues. he has a slight varicocele but the doctors said its nothing to worry about but he never had a SA thanks for the thoughts
    ebrittian22

Answer by ebrittian22 at 8:40 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• if you have unprotected sex, then there is always a chance to get pregnant...but I also heard that smoking can reduce mobility in sperm and decrease the chances of a pregnancy, and it can affect the quality of sperm...just like they recommend women to quit, guys prolly should too...to lessen the cause of birth defects
    Anonymous

• I just wanted to say that I don't think mt dew has anything to do with fertility. my husband drinks mt dew like its his job, and we got pregnant very quickly with our 2 kids.
    mamagoose718

Answer by mamagoose718 at 11:10 PM on Jul. 22, 2009