How do I get my 2 week old to stay asleep once put in his crib?

My two week old son doesn't have a problem falling asleep but once we put him in his crib, he will only stay asleep for a few minutes. Then he will fuss and wake up. We make sure that he's got a clean diaper, full tummy, isn't gassy, or over/under dressed. We swaddle him and he has no problem sleeping on the floor next to us, in our arms, on our laps, or on the sofa (with supervision). But as soon as we get him into his crib, it's all undone. It makes night time the most trying. We try to put him in his crib for all his naps but he isn't staying asleep. Any advice?

rpggurleli

Asked by rpggurleli at 8:26 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies like sleeping in mamas arms. That's just the way it is. Sometimes you can wait until 20 minutes after you see their eyes move under their eyelids (according to Dr. William Sears) and then lay them down.

It's a survival issue. Babies wake and cry when they feel they are alone so they don't get carried off and eaten by a preditor or get separated from their mother.

Cribs are really big for a little baby. Some babies will sleep in a bassinet or cradle better. It's recommended small babies sleep close to mom. The newest recommendation for SIDS is to have a fan going in the room.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 8:33 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• I put mine on his tummy and he slept for 3 hours straight.
    Anonymous

• Your baby is used to hearing your heart beat and smelling you. That's all he's known for the past 10 months. If you really don't want him to be close to you while he sleeps, put a worn t-shirt in his crib and a "womb bear" or a fan (not blowing on him obviously) in his room. The white noise helps them feel at home and the shirt with your smell will trick him into thinking your near.
    Anonymous

• My daughter did the same thing (and a few other symptoms) and the pediatrician said she had reflux. Try using a wedge to prop him up and see if that helps. For us, my daughter started sleeping longer once we started propping her up.

About the eyes moving thing, I did that as well and it seemed to work pretty well:-)
    AutumnsMom31309

Answer by AutumnsMom31309 at 9:11 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• Boy this sounds familuar. If it's posible, let your baby sleep in bed with you. I have always been a light sleeper but it is even worse when you are listening to the monitor wondering if they are ok. Has the blanket gotten in their face? Are they breathing ok?
    It is just so much easier to let them sleep next to you with your arm around them. Plus when they start to wake, the boob is right there. If you are set on not having your child in bed with you, you could always move the crib next to the bed and when baby starts fussing, just reach in.
    brittneysmom31

Answer by brittneysmom31 at 3:46 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• This may or may not work for you, but when my son was a newborn, when we placed him in his crib, we'd stand there with a little pressure from our hand on his chest for a minute or two. It was a technique we used to make him feel like he was still being held. It almost always worked and he'd sleep for 3-4 hours. Babies love being held...it will get easier once your baby gets used to sleeping in his crib.
    mobrien1

Answer by mobrien1 at 10:57 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I use one of those baby positioners for my baby, and lay her on her side instead of her back. The one I have the sides are adjustable so I can make it snuggle her. I always use the same blankets for nap time so that they smell like me and her. So far this works she is 8 days old. Good luck!
    mandisue1

Answer by mandisue1 at 10:20 PM on Jul. 21, 2009