Did you have a problem with your dog getting jealous of your new baby?

I don't have this problem currently but I have been told it happens and i was wondering if you had the problem or if your dog was just interested in the new baby?
I am due in December with my first baby and i want to make sure i am prepared because my dog has been "the baby" for the last 2 years so I am curious if she will get jealous. I do have a plan that when i just want to hold my baby just because, i will pick up the dog instead because i do not want a baby that i cant put down, I have seen that happen way too often.

Alie1313

Asked by Alie1313 at 8:30 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in Pets

• Nope, my pitbull warmed right up to the baby the day we brought him home. She runs away when he cries and plays very gently with him when he's happy. I take her to work with me at a doggie daycare and wear her out so she is very gentle at home.
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 12:41 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Nope, had have 4 dogs that I have brought new babies home to and not a single one had an issue. They actually watch over our kids as if they were their own. If the kids are outside and the dogs are in they will sit at the door and whine.
    1st dog was a 10 year old gordon setter
    2nd dog was a 1 year old chocolate lab
    3rd dog was a 1 year old golden retriever
    4th dog was actually a puppy we brought into the house and he is a pit/boxer mix.
    All were/are very good with our kids.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:57 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• One of our dogs became insanely jealous of the baby and even tried to knock him out of my hands. We finally had to give her up to another family because she had just become too attached too me and too jealous of the attention I gave to my son. Our other dog immediatly accepted our baby and became a protector and "babysitter". She guarded our son with her life.
    Intrepid

Answer by Intrepid at 10:27 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Intrepid, I am so sorry that you had to give up your dog, but I think you did the right thing all the way around. You didn't get rid of the dog just because you were having a baby. You tried to make it work but just couldn't. While almost all dogs are very accepting of little ones, not all will be.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:49 AM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My dog was very nervous when we brought our youngest home. I was a little concerned since he's so big (great dane) It took about 1 month for him to calm down.
    michelle1219

Answer by michelle1219 at 3:23 PM on Jul. 21, 2009