Discipline?

So my husband i got to the gym every morning. 24 hour fitness has a daycare and we leave ur 2 yr old son Ezekiel there. EVERYTIME i pick him up after our work out he's in time out for hitting, pushing, kicking or throwing something at the other kids. Well today was the last draw and he was suspended for 2 weeks. My problem is How do i discipline my son for hitting if i dont see him doing it?

lunagurl03

Asked by lunagurl03 at 8:33 PM on Jul. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• It sounds like the care providers aren't doing a good job at preventing problems. You might watch the daycare and see what's going on. You can talk to the care providers about how they can try to take care of kids so bad stuff doesn't happen.

I wouldn't punish your son. If you can't work with the day care people then I would take turns with your husband working out and taking care of your son.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 8:37 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• He is 2 and does all that. Interesting since that is very advanced for a 2 year old. They usually don't have the balance needed for a lot of kicking, and pushing. They will hit, but the daycare worker should be able to deal with that. I would begin to question the director of the daycare to see exactly what training the workers have. If you pay for the membership at the gym, I would ask for my money back. I think you have been bamoozled!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:51 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• He still needs to be disciplined at home. It is NOT ok for him to hurt someone else. It is also not the child care centers fault nor is it their job to teach your child how to act. They are there to watch your child while you are working out and nothing more. It is not a regular day care center. You have not been "bamoozled". Even regular day care centers can kick kids out for misbehavior and for hurting other kids if the child cannot be controlled. I have worked at centers where kids were kicked out for hurting other kids. WE were all trained but there are other kids that we had to protect to. There were NO refunds either. You are taking your son to pretty much a babysitter and he is there for a few hours at the most. Do NOT hit your child for hitting, instead talk to your child about how it hurts people when you hit, hands are for hugs, gentle touches. Toys are for playing not throwing. It will take time,hang in there.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:49 PM on Jul. 20, 2009

• "discipline refers to systematic instruction given to a disciple. To discipline thus means to instruct a person to follow a particular code of conduct 'order'. "

Sit him down and TALK to him. Explain that you don't hit people. It helps if you don't spank(cause then you don't seem like a hypocrite for telling him not to hit). Keep the talking going. If he gets a time out at daycare again, ask him why he's hitting people. Kids DO listen.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 11:11 AM on Jul. 21, 2009